These decadent chocolate and peanut butter brownies will steal the show at any tailgating party!
A perfect blend of savory, sweet and rich goodness in every bite.
This chocolate peanut butter brownie is a must for any occasion. It’s thick and rich with creamy peanut butter and peanut butter cups mixed right into the batter. The frosting is smooth, silky, and absolutely decadent! This is a dessert everyone can enjoy. Made from scratch with simple ingredients these peanut butter swirl brownies come together easily and practically effortlessly.
Peanut butter stuffed brownies
If you’re a fan of the peanut butter and chocolate flavor combination (who isn’t) then you are going to adore this simple recipe. Made with swirls of peanut butter stuffed into every bite this brownie tastes like a buckeye treat or a brownie version of your favorite candy- Reese’s peanut butter cups. The fudgy peanut butter brownies are perfect for any party, tailgate, or simple weeknight sweet treat to satisfy your cravings. There’s never a wrong time to serve up peanut butter cup brownies!
- Unsalted butter
- Granulated sugar
- Cocoa powder
- Baking powder
- Espresso powder
- All-purpose flour
- Chocolate chips
- Peanut butter cups
- Creamy peanut butter
For the frosting, you will need:
- Powdered sugar
- Cocoa powder
- Hot water
- Vanilla extract
How to Make Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and grease the inside of a 9×13 baking dish and set it aside.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt your butter.
- Stir in the sugar and then return to the microwave for another minute or until the mixture is glossy.
- Stir in the cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, vanilla, and espresso powder.
- Stir in the eggs until blended.
- Carefully add the flour and stir until just combined and no flour streaks remain.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and peanut butter cups.
- Pour the batter into your prepared baking dish.
- Dollop spoonfuls of peanut butter on top of the brownie batter and then swirl them around with a knife or offset spatula.
- Bake the brownies in the oven for 28 minutes or until the edges are set.
- Let the brownies cool completely before frosting.
Make the frosting
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter until creamy.
- Carefully add in the powdered sugar and cocoa powder.
- Slowly add in the hot water and vanilla.
- Beat until smooth.
- Stir in milk and if the frosting is too thick to spread, add in a little bit more, as necessary.
- Spread over the top of your cooled brownies.
- Slice and serve.
How long are chocolate and peanut butter brownies good for?
These brownies can be kept well covered in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. They can also be kept stored at room temperature for up to 3 days if kept well covered and in a cool location away from any major heat sources.
Can I freeze these easy peanut butter brownies?
These brownies can be frozen with or without the frosting on top. If you plan to freeze these brownies I recommend doing it after the frosting has set. Start by cutting the brownies into serving-sized pieces and then freeze them flat on a baking sheet for about 2 hours. After that, wrap each brownie piece well with plastic wrap before placing it into an airtight container for up to 3 months.
When you’re ready to eat just grab a square and place it in your lunch box or on the counter. After a few minutes, it should be thawed enough that you can start eating it. Enjoy!
What other frostings go well with peanut butter brownies with cocoa powder?
This brownie recipe goes great with a simple chocolate frosting as shown but would also be wonderful if paired with a caramel buttercream like in my Pumpkin Chocolate Cake Recipe or it could do well with a nice peanut butter frosting as well. Even cream cheese would be a tasty rich option!
Looking for more chocolate peanut butter recipes? We’ve got a great collection of recipes to try soon!
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Explosion Cookies
- Reese’s Ice Cream Cake
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup Hot Chocolate
- Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Caramel Bars
Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies
These decadent chocolate and peanut butter brownies will steal the show at any tailgaiting party!
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup peanut butter cups, chopped
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- For the frosting
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9x13 in. pan and set aside.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, melt butter. Stir in sugar and return to microwave for a minute or until mixture is glossy.
- Stir in cocoa, salt, baking powder, vanilla and coffee. Stir in eggs until blended. Carefully add flour and stir just until combined. Fold in chocolate chips and peanut butter cups. Pour batter into prepared pan. Dollop spoonful’s of peanut butter onto brownie batter and swirl with a knife or an offset spatula. Bake brownies for 28 minutes or until edges are set. Let brownies cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting: beat butter in a stand mixer until creamy. Carefully mix in powdered sugar and cocoa. Slowly add hot water and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Stir in milk (add more if necessary).
Amount Per Serving Calories 616Total Fat 31gSaturated Fat 14gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 86mgSodium 321mgCarbohydrates 80gFiber 4gSugar 60gProtein 10g