Reese’s peanut butter cups, caramel sauce, peanut butter, and chocolate sauce are layered between
ice cream sandwiches in this easy ice cream cake!
What Is An Ice Cream Cake?
An ice cream cake is a cake layered with various cream flavors with whipped frosting on top. Ice cream cakes come in a ton of varieties and are a fun twist on a traditional cake.
I have never in my life tasted a store-bought ice cream cake. Never. How sheltered am I? Friends share their fond childhood memories of Dairy Queen ice cream cakes or Baskin Robbin’s ice cream cakes, and as they tell me all about their favorite flavors, I can’t help but stare at them blankly.
I just cannot relate.
I could wallow in self-pity at how deprived I’ve been, or I could just make my own, which is what I chose to do. While I cannot attest to how tasty store-bought ice cream cakes are, I CAN tell you that this ice cream cake is spectacular!
It’s super easy too! In fact, assembling this cake will take a fraction of the time it would take you to actually pick up a store-bought cake.
Ice Cream Cake With Ice Cream Sandwiches
For this no-fuss recipe, I layered vanilla ice cream sandwiches and filled each layer with peanut butter, chopped Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, caramel and chocolate sauces. I don’t need to go on, do I? You are already drooling, I can tell.
I’ve made some divine frozen dessert in the past. I was crazy about the Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Pie. and this lovely Oreo Ice Cream Roll Cake , Snickers Ice Cream Cake, and I was nuts about this S’mores Ice Cream Cake, but I am so in love with this cake.
I am quite confident you will be in love too. I’d venture to say that this ice cream cake will disappear quickly every time you make it.
Summertime and the living is easy, creamy and scrumptious!
How To Make Reese’s Ice Cream Cake
This ice cream sandwich cake starts by placing a layer of ice cream sandwiches on a serving platter. Melted (microwave) peanut butter and spread the peanut butter over the ice cream sandwiches.
Now, you could instantly change up the flavor if this dessert by using a different kind of ice cream sandwich; i.e. chocolate ice cream sandwiches, mint chocolate chip or Neoplolitan are all fun options.
Caramel and chocolate sauces are drizzled over the peanut butter along with chopped up peanut butter cups.
Continue layering until you’ve used up about 18 sandwiches.
I used 1 1/2 containers of Cool Whip to “frost’ this ice cream cake recipe. You may want to adjust this to your needs and tastes by either using only one container or a full two.
You could also make your own whipped cream if you prefer.
Drizzle more chocolate and caramel over the top and add your Reese Cups!
The best part about this ice cream cake recipe is simplicity! The ice cream sandwiches make all the cake layers you need, so no mixing, baking, cooling or frosting. Plus it always tastes good!
How Long Does Ice Cream Cake Last?
If stored properly, your ice cream cake should last 3-4 days. Make sure the cake is covered with plastic wrap. Toothpicks placed on top a be used to prevent the plastic wrap from sticking to the whipped topping.
Allow your cake to thaw slightly before serving.
Ice Cream Cake Combinations?
As I have already mentioned, feel free to play around with the ice cream sandwich flavors. Change the sauces and candies to match.
- Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwiches + Hot Fudge Sauce, Caramel Sauce, Chopped Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwiches + Hot Fudge Sauce, Chopped Andes Mint Candies
- Neapolitan Ice Cream Sandwiches + Hot Fudge Sauce, Strawberry Ice Cream Topping, Chopped Chocolate Squares
- Vanilla Ice Cream Sandwiches + Hot Fudge, Chopped Oreos
- Vanilla Ice Cream Sandwiches + Hot Fudge. Marshmallow Cream, Crumbled Graham Crackers, and Mini Marshmallows
What You Need To Make This Recipe:
Ice Cream Sandwich Cakes are a fun way to celebrate a birthday party or just any occasion where people who love ice cream gather!
This easy recipe is a crowd pleaser that any host can throw together!
Connect with Lemons for Lulu!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #lemonsforlulu! I would love to see your talents!
I have a group dedicated to food and you! Check out my group page on join in on the fun! This is where you can ask questions, share recipes, connect with others and see more of Lemons for Lulu. If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
- 18 vanilla ice cream sandwiches
- 1 cup peanut butter, melted
- 1 9.5 oz package Reese's peanut butter cups (12 total)
- 6 tablespoons caramel sauce
- 6 tablespoons hot fudge sauce
- 2 8 oz containers whipped topping
- Arrange six ice cream sandwiches on a serving platter. Drizzle half of the peanut butter over top. Drizzle two tablespoons of the caramel sauce and the hot fudge sauce. Top with a third of the chopped candies.
- Arrange six more ice cream sandwiches and drizzle the remaining peanut butter over top. Drizzle two tablespoons of each of the sauces and top with another third of the chopped chocolates.
- Top with remaining ice cream sandwiches. Surround the cake with the whipped topping.
- Drizzle the cake with the remaining sauces and top with the remaining chocolates.
- Allow the cake to set in the freezer for at least 30 minutes - 4 hours before serving.
Nutrition InformationYield 10 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 814Total Fat 45gSaturated Fat 19gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 21gCholesterol 28mgSodium 484mgCarbohydrates 94gFiber 3gSugar 61gProtein 15g