Ice cream cakes are fun to eat and so simple to make! Easy, store-bought ingredients make assembly a breeze, and everyone loves the end result! Ice cream cakes are great for birthday parties, BBQs, potlucks, casual gatherings with friends, or just because!
My favorite ice cream shop has these giant cookie ice cream sandwiches, called Chip Wheelies. They are delicious! There have been countless summer nights where I somehow found myself in the drive-through at the ice cream shop, picking up a late-night ice cream sandwich!
This ice cream cake pays tribute to my beloved Chip Wheelies! Ice cream cakes are party pleasers and this recipe has simple ingredients so that anyone can make this cake at any time!
What Is An Ice Cream Cake?
An ice cream cake is a cake layered with various cream flavors with whipped frosting on top. Ice cream cakes come in a ton of varieties and are a fun twist on a traditional cake.
I know people have fond memories of store-bought ice cream cakes from Dairy Queen or Baskin Robbins. You can even get decent cakes from your local grocery store, however, nothing beats homemade! Sure, the ingredients or layers in this cake aren’t homemade, BUT if you assemble it, it’s homemade!
Ice Cream Cake With Ice Cream Sandwiches
This recipe starts with chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwiches, where the tops are removed, and then they are filled with layers of ice cream and cookies to basically create one, giant ice cream sandwich!
I’ve made some divine frozen dessert in the past. I was crazy about the Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Pie. and this lovely Oreo Ice Cream Roll Cake , Snickers Ice Cream Cake, Reese’s Ice Cream Cake, and I was crazy about this S’mores Ice Cream Cake, but I am so in love with this cake.
I am quite confident you will be in love too. I’d venture to say that this ice cream cake will disappear quickly every time you make it.
Summertime and the living is easy, creamy, and scrumptious!
What Do I Need To Make This Ice Cream Cake?
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Chocolate Fudge Frosting
- Mini Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cookie Dough Ice Cream
- Heavy Cream
- Mini chocolate chip cookies for garnish
How To Make Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Cake
STEP ONE – This ice cream sandwich cake starts by removing cookie tops from each sandwich cookie. Set the tops on an even layer on a cookie sheet and freeze for later.
STEP TWO – Arrange remaining cookie halves on the bottom of a springform cake pan.
STEP THREE – Spread chocolate frosting over the sandwich cookies.
STEP FOUR – Chop about two cups of the chocolate chip cookies and sprinkle them over the fudge frosting. Freeze the cake for about 10 minutes.
STEP FIVE – Meanwhile, soften the cookie dough ice cream. Remove the cake from the freezer and spread ice cream over the cake. Freeze for another 10-20 minutes.
STEP SIX – Prepare whipped cream by whisking heavy cream with sugar in a heavy mixer on high speed until it is thickened. Spread whipped topping over the cake. Garnish with whole mini cookies if desired.
How Long Does Ice Cream Cake Last?
If stored properly, your ice cream cake should last 3-4 days. Make sure the cake is covered with plastic wrap. Toothpicks placed on top a be used to prevent the plastic wrap from sticking to the whipped topping.
Allow your cake to thaw slightly before serving.
- 7 chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwiches (I used Kroger brand)
- 1 container chocolate fudge frosting
- 2 cups chopped chocolate chip cookies
- 1 container cookie dough ice cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons granulatee sugar
- Mini chocolate chip cookies for garnish
- Remove cookie tops from each sandwich cookie. Set the tops on an even layer on a cookie sheet and freeze for later.
- Arrange remaining cookie halves on the bottom of a springform cake pan.
- Spread chocolate frosting over the sandwich cookies.
- Chop chocolate chip cookies and sprinkle them over the fudge frosting. Freeze the cake for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, soften the cookie dough ice cream. Remove the cake from the freezer and spread ice cream over the cake. Freeze for another 10-20 minutes.
- Prepare whipped cream by whisking heavy cream with sugar in a heavy mixer on high speed until it is thickened. Spread whipped topping over the cake. Garnish with whole mini cookies if desired.
- Freeze cake for at least 4 hours or overnight.