Better than sex is a funny name for a pumpkin cake, but who cares, because it is delicious! Spice cake has a caramel filling and topped with toffee chips and whipped cream. The combination is spectacular….perhaps even better than sex??
Better Than Sex Cake is also referred to as “better than anything cake” or Robert Redford cake, both are a little cleaner versions but all are delicious and incredibly easy to make!
There are probably a million variations of this cake and we will discuss those a little later, but this version has flavors that lend themselves perfectly for fall!
What Is A Better Than Sex Cake?
A Better Than Sex is typically made with some sort of chocolate cake mix that is poked with holes after baking which are then filled with sweetened condensed milk. Toffee bits are sprinkled over top and then are “frosted” with whipped topping. More toffee bits are added to the topping.
This cake has similar elements and the method is the same.
How To Make This Pumpkin Better Than Sex Cake?
STEP ONE – Combine spice cake mix (powder only) with one can of pumpkin until combined. Pour into a greased 9 x 13 inch cake pan. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove and allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes. Then poke holes into the cake in 1 inch intervals using the end of a wooden spoon.
STEP TWO – In a bowl, combine the sweetened condensed milk and the caramel ice cream topping. Pour the caramel mixture over the cake.
STEP THREE – Sprinkle toffee bits over the cake.
STEP FOUR – Prepare the whipped topping by beating together heavy cream and sugar until thick. Spread topping over the cake, and top with remaining toffee bits and chopped pecans. Refrigerate cake overnight.
How To Store This Pumpkin Cake?
Keep this cake covered and stored in the refrigerator. Over time, the filling will make the cake soggy, therefore, this cake is best when eaten within a couple of days.
I would not recommend freezing this cake. You can prepare just the pumpkin cake, freeze it and then continue with the recipe when needed, but I would not freeze a completed cake.
Better Than Sex Cake Recipe Tips and Suggestions
- Using canned pumpkin in place of the oil and eggs for the cake mix works well; the cake is soft and tender! Feel free to use a yellow cake or even a chocolate cake mix in place of the spice cake.
- I love to use the handle of a wooden spoon to poke the cake. That allows for the filling to really soak into the cake. But you can use large wooden dowels or skewers as well.
- I used a salted caramel ice cream topping for the filling, but you can omit the caramel all together or use your favorite topping.
- Vanilla pudding can also be used as a filling for this recipe.
- I added nuts and chocolate chips with the toffee bits. Chopped Heath Bars can be used in place of bagged toffee bits. Omit nuts if desired.
- Cool Whip can be used in place of the homemade whipped topping. You can also combine Cool Whip and a tub of cream cheese frosting for flavors reminiscent of a pumpkin roll!
- 1 box spice cake
- 15 oz can pumpkin
- ¾ cup salted caramel ice cream topping
- 1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 bag toffee bits
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 inch cake with non-stik spray and set aside.
- Combine spice cake mix (powder only) with one can of pumpkin until combined. Pour into the prepared pan. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove and allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes. Then poke holes into the cake in 1-inch intervals using the end of a wooden spoon.
- In a saucepan over medium heat whisk together the sweetened condensed milk and the caramel ice cream topping until smooth. Pour the caramel mixture over the cake.
- Sprinkle half of the bag of toffee bits over the cake.
- Prepare the whipped topping by beating together heavy cream and sugar until thick and creamy. Spread topping over the cake. Sprinkle remaining toffee bits and chopped pecans over cake.
- Refrigerate cake overnight.
Nutrition InformationYield 16 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 355Total Fat 23gSaturated Fat 13gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 66mgSodium 120mgCarbohydrates 36gFiber 1gSugar 34gProtein 5g