This easy chicken soup recipe is one wholesome bowl of deliciousness! Fill up a bowl of warm comforting goodness.
You’re going to love this chicken orzo soup recipe. Made from scratch and with just a few simple ingredients and seasonings this soup recipe is very easy to make even if you’re feeling under the weather.
There’s always something about chicken soup when you’re sick that really makes you feel better and this soup is packed with nutrition so it’s perfect for helping you to get back up on your feet.
Spinach orzo soup
What food is better for you than soup? It’s comfort food that is wholesome and utterly nourishing. In order to fill us up with good food, I made this easy chicken soup with orzo (our favorite pasta), herbs, carrots, chicken sausage, and fresh spinach.
Spinach is an original superfood, it’s loaded with vitamins and minerals and it’s a good source of omega fatty acids.
This chicken and orzo soup is pretty healthy and good for you so if you’re feeling unwell or just looking for a bowl of comfort, make a pot and eat up!
Ingredients you’ll need for Chicken Soup:
- Chicken sausage
- Olive oil
- Garlic cloves
- Dried thyme
- Dried oregano
- Dried rosemary
- Salt free chicken broth
- Fresh spinach
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
How to Make Easy Chicken Soup
- Heat the sliced sausage in a stock pot until cooked through. This will take about 5-8 minutes. Remove them and set them aside.
- Add your olive oil to the pan and then add in the onion and garlic. saute and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the carrots and herbs. Continue to cook until the carrots just begin to soften.
- Add your chicken broth to the pot and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and stir in the orzo.
- Continue to cook for another 8 minutes or so until the pasta has finished cooking.
- Stir in the sausage and spinach. stir to combine.
- Serve and enjoy!
Why is spinach added at the end?
We add the spinach at the very end because it cooks rather quickly not only that but to add it in the final steps means that we don’t have to worry about it becoming too wilted and mushy to enjoy.
How long is chicken soup good for?
this leftover soup can be kept stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 or 4 days. I do not recommend storing it in the freezer unless you remove the pasta first. This is because the pasta will expand and continue to absorb liquid making it very mushy. without the pasta, the soup can stay frozen for up to 3 months.
Need more delicious soup recipes to try soon? We’ve got you covered!
- Healthy And Hearty Vegetarian Sweet Potato Lentil Soup
- Roasted Tomato Soup
- How To Make A Classic Italian Minestrone Soup
- Slow Cooker Vegetable Beef Soup
- Instant Pot Vegetable Soup
- Potato Soup Recipe with Leeks and Bacon
Easy Chicken Soup Recipe
This easy chicken soup recipeis one wholesome bowl of deliciousness!
- 1 12 oz package chicken sausage halved and sliced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 32 oz containers salt free chicken broth
- 1 cup orzo
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- In stock pot heat sliced sausage until heated through, about 5-8 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Add olive oil to pan. Add onion and garlic, sauté for 1-2 minutes. Add carrots and herbs. Continue cooking just until carrots begin to soften.
- Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and stir in orzo. Continue cooking for 8 minutes or until pasta has finished cooking. Stir in sausage and spinach, stir. Serve.
Amount Per Serving Calories 141Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 40mgSodium 88315mgCarbohydrates 11gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 12g
Baby June says
That looks delish! Bet it would help anyone recover from a cold. 🙂
I totally agree!
Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom says
I’m with you on the REST thing. . I’ve also been thinking a lot about slowing down. . this school year just started and I’m already exhausted! love love love this soup! totally comfort food right here. . and I love produce for kids. . such a great organization!!!
Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction says
Napping for me health. . .I like the sound of that! I also like the sound of this soup! It looks so good!
Such a great comfort food! I am a really big soup fan, especially for lunch.
soup is one of my favorite ways to get the kids to eat healthy,and this look delicious Tanya – I’m down with a nap too
Do you used the precooked chicken sausage or fresh?
Trish @ Mom On Timeout says
I am all for a little more rest these days- sooo exhausted all the time! This soup looks fantastic! Perfect comfort food 🙂
This soup is making me want cool weather so bad! Perfect for a chilly fall day!
Tanya Walker says
I made tonight for dinner. My only regret is I don’t have bread or crackers! Loved it.
I am soapy to hear this Tanya!! Thank you so much for trying the recipe and for your comment!