This lentils and sweet potato soup is perfect for those chilly fall nights because it is so warm and filling. The flavors blend seamlessly together in every bite making this one soup recipe to look forward to every soup season.
You’re going to love this one pot lentil and sweet potato stew. This soup is packed full of chunks of veggies in a simmering and flavorful broth, making it a great vegetable stew recipe. Fall weather outside and fall flavors inside every bowl are what make this dish a unique blend of comfort in every bite.
What is Sweet Potato Lentil Soup?
It’s a tasty and healthy soup recipe combining lentils and sweet potatoes along with other added ingredients such as onion, carrots, and garlic, and spinach making this soup packed full of nutrition and flavor in every bite.
Ingredients you’ll need for the lentils and sweet potato soup
- Dry lentils
- Yellow onion
- Sweet potato
- Vegetable stock
- Olive oil
- Garlic cloves
- Fresh spinach
- Bay leaves
- Black pepper
- Fresh parsley
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
How to Make Lentils and Sweet Potato Soup
Heat a large pot on the stove and add in your olive oil.
Chop the carrots into slices and then add them to the pot. Saute until slightly golden in color.
Chop your onion and garlic into small pieces and then saute them with the carrots until tender.
Add in the chopped tomatoes and bay leaves and saute until the tomatoes are soft.
Add in the rest of the ingredients including the sweet potato that has been peeled and chopped into cubes, the roughly chopped fresh spinach leaves, soaked lentils, smoked paprika, dried oregano, and fresh parsley (roughly chopped).
Add in the vegetable stock. Start by adding in 4 cups of stock and then only add in the remaining 2 cups if needed.
Cook the soup for 30-40 minutes or until everything is tender.
- In a hurry? You could use the dry lentils without soaking them if you’re in a rush, but it is always a good practice as it reduces the antinutrients from the legumes. If you don’t have enough time to soak them, wash them carefully before use. To soak them will also reduce the cooking time and will improve their digestion!
- Storage. Keep your soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. For best tasting results eat it within 3.
- Freezing. You can freeze your leftovers for later by allowing the soup to cool completely in the pot and then transferring it to an airtight container, place in the freezer for up to 2 months, and thaw overnight in the fridge before warming on the stove.
Is sweet potato lentil soup vegan?
This recipe is completely vegan as written as it contains no items made with animal products. There’s no eggs, butter, or meat of any kind, making this a very healthy dish too!
Can I add Kale to my sweet potato soup?
Absolutely! If you want to use kale instead of spinach you can always just swap the two out and make sure that the kale is roughly chopped. You can also add in a handful of leaves at the same time that you add in the spinach so that you get both greens in the pot.
What to serve with sweet potato lentil soup
Serve this soup up with a side of bread like soft dinner rolls or a slice of harder crusty bread like a baguette or french bread. The starches from the bread can help to soak up the juices from the soup if you enjoy dipping bread in broth, but it can also help to give a nice contrast to the soft veggie-packed soup in front of you.
If you’re looking for some more hearty soup recipe then you’re going to want to check these out!
- How To Make A Classic Italian Minestrone Soup
- Slow Cooker Vegetable Beef Soup
- Chicken Florentine Soup Recipe
- Cabbage Roll Soup
- Potato Soup Recipe with Leeks and Bacon
Lentils and Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 cup dry lentils (soaked for 8 hours)
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 carrots
- 4-6 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 cup packed fresh spinach
- 2 tomatoes
- ½ tsp smoked paprika or sweet paprika
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ¼ cup fresh parsley
1. Chop the carrots into slices. Heat olive oil in large pots and add the sliced carrots. Sauté until slightly golden.
2. Chop the onion and garlic into small pieces and sauté with the carrot until tender.
3. Add chopped tomatoes and bay leaves to be fragrant. Sauté until tomato is soft.
4. Add the rest of the ingredients: sweet potato peel and chopped into cubes, fresh spinach leaves (roughly chop, if desired), soaked lentils, smoked paprika, dried oregano, fresh parsley roughly chopped, and vegetable stock. I’d advise you to start with 4 cups of stock and add the other 2 if needed.
5. Cook the soup for 30-40 minutes, or until everything is tender.
Leave a Reply