Cabbage roll soup is a great addition to your family’s meal plans! It is hearty, filling, and totally delicious!
You won’t find anything but comfort and good ingredients in this soup!
This cabbage roll soup is not part of any diet plan. However, it is good for you, it is filling, and it is satisfying. Packed with veggies, rice, meat, and a hearty tomato base this soup is a delicious blend of all your favorite parts of cabbage rolls, but in a more convenient setting- a soup. No more time consuming rolling thanks to this simple soup recipe. You’re going to love this frugal and easy comforting soup recipe.
What Is Cabbage Roll Soup?
Cabbage roll soup takes everything you know about the classic cabbage rolls and turns them into a filling soup! Broth, beef, and cabbage are the headliners while spices, tomatoes, and rice all play supporting roles. This soup is easy to make and makes for excellent leftovers too! Serve it up any day of the week and it’s sure to be a huge hit!
- Lean ground beef
- Chopped cabbage
- Diced onions
- Minced garlic
- Tomato paste
- Fire-roasted tomatoes
- Beef broth
- Long-grain white rice
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
How To Make Cabbage Roll Soup
Step One – Heat a large stockpot or a Dutch oven over medium heat. Place ground beef in the hot pan and cook until no longer pink, crumbling the beef with a spoon as it cooks.
Step Two – Add diced onions and garlic to the ground beef. Cook until the onions are soft, about 2-3 minutes.
Step Three – Season the beef mixture with cayenne, paprika, salt, and oregano, Stir in tomato paste. Add in the cabbage.
Step Four – Pour beef broth and tomatoes over the beef mixture and stir in the rice.
Step Five – Bring the soup to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 25- 30 minutes or until rice is cooked through and cabbage is soft.
Recipe Tips and Substitutions
- Different meats or omitting the meat entirely. This recipe would be fine made without the beef if you want to make it vegetarian. But you can easily swap out the beef for ground turkey, pork, or chicken. If you change proteins, vegetable broth can be used in place of the beef broth.
- Swapping out the tomatoes. The fire-roasted tomatoes add flavor and even some spice. You can swap out diced tomatoes or even tomato sauce.
- Adding more veggies. Feel free to add carrots, green beans, or other vegetables to this soup.
Can Cabbage Roll Soup Be Frozen?
The beautiful thing about cabbage roll soup is that it freezes really well and tastes just as good after you reheat it. As I said, this is a really hardy soup! You can easily freeze cabbage soup and know that you will love it just as much as when you first served it!
If you don’t want to freeze your cabbage soup, you can store any leftover in an airtight container. This soup will be good in the fridge for 4-5 days. To reheat, simply place the soup in a saucepan and heat on medium-low until heated through.
Is This Cabbage Roll Soup Recipe Good For You?
- Cabbage soup was diet food for good reason!
- Cabbage is loaded with nutrients like vitamin K and vitamin C. Cabbage soup might help with inflammation digestion, blood pressure, and cholesterol.
- Canned tomatoes are filled with antioxidants and beef is a good source of protein. Be sure to use low-sodium beef broth in this recipe.
How to Make Cabbage Roll Soup In Slow Cooker
You can brown the beef, then place everything but the rice in a slow cooker. Cook the soup on low for a couple of hours, adding the rice during the last 30 minutes of cooking.
- 1 ½ lb lean ground beef
- 4 cups chopped cabbage
- ½ cup diced onions
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 can fire-roasted tomatoes (14.5 oz)
- 4 cups beef broth
- ½ cup of long-grain white rice (not instant)
- Heat a large stockpot or a Dutch oven over medium heat. Place ground beef in the hot pan and cook until no longer pink, crumbling the beef with a spoon as it cooks.
- Add diced onions and garlic to the ground beef. Cook until the onions are soft, about 2-3 minutes.
- Season the beef mixture with cayenne, paprika, salt, and oregano, Stir in tomato paste. Add in the cabbage.
- Pour beef broth and tomatoes over the beef mixture and stir in the rice.
- Bring the soup to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 25- 30 minutes or until rice is cooked through and cabbage is soft.
Amount Per Serving Calories 334Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 101mgSodium 1095mgCarbohydrates 14gFiber 3gSugar 5gProtein 37g