This simple recipe for Instant Pot cabbage is great as a side dish or even as part of your main meal. The cabbage is tender, packed with flavor, and has minimal prep time.
Cabbage is a cruciferous vegetable that is low in calories and fat but packs an impressive nutritional punch. It is high in fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. It is good for your heart, your immune system, and digestion. Eating cabbage is a great way to get more vegetables in your diet.
One of the quickest and easiest ways to cook cabbage is in the Instant Pot. The Instant Pot cooks food using hot steam pressure. With a few minutes of hands-on time, you can have tasty cabbage that’s tender but with a slight crunch for texture.
Ingredients You’ll Need for this Recipe
- Medium-sized head of cabbage
- Vegetable stock
- Garlic cloves
- Fresh cracked pepper
How to Make Instant Pot Cabbage
- Cut the head of cabbage in half and remove the core.
- Slice in half again and then into smaller pieces.
- Place the pieces of cabbage in the Instant Pot and cover with the vegetable stock.
- Close the lid and make sure the pressure valve is locked.
- Cook on manual high pressure for 5 minutes. When it is finished cooking, do a manual release.
- Remove the cooked cabbage and the remaining stock. Set aside.
- Turn on the saute mode on the Instant Pot. Melt the butter in the pot.
- Crush or press the garlic cloves and add them to the butter. Saute for 1 minute until golden brown.
- Add the cooked cabbage and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Sprinkle with salt and fresh cracked pepper.
How to Serve Cabbage
You can serve this Instant Pot cabbage as a side dish for grilled chicken, beef, fish, or pork. Or you can add it to soups and stews for added flavor and nutrition.
Cabbage has a unique flavor profile that pairs well with other ingredients. This makes it an ideal ingredient for a variety of dishes. Try adding the cooked cabbage to tacos, stir-fries, or casseroles.
Tips and Variations for Instant Pot Cabbage
For the best Instant Pot cabbage, try these tips and variation ideas:
- If you want a crunchier texture to the cabbage, reduce the cooking time by 1 or 2 minutes.
- For different flavors, add herbs or spices, such as coriander, thyme, oregano, cumin, or curry powder.
- For an extra kick, add some crushed red pepper flakes, chili powder, or chopped jalapenos. Or stir in some sriracha at the end of cooking.
- Garnish with fresh herbs like parsley or cilantro.
- Substitute beef or chicken stock for the vegetable stock for a richer flavor.
- Try adding other vegetables like carrots, onions, bell peppers, or mushrooms when you are sauteing the cabbage.
- For an Asian twist, replace the butter with sesame oil and add soy sauce or rice wine vinegar to the Instant Pot.
- To turn this dish into a main course, add cooked sausage, bacon, or ground beef. Cook them in the Instant Pot before sauteing the cabbage.
- To make this dish vegan, use vegan butter or skip the butter and add a little extra vegetable stock.
How to Store Leftovers
If you have leftovers or if you want to make this recipe in advance for meal prepping, store the cabbage in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 4 days. To reheat the cabbage, you can microwave it in a covered dish with a splash of water or broth until hot. Or heat it up in a skillet over medium-high heat with a few tablespoons of vegetable stock.
Other Veggie Recipes
- Herb Drizzled Grilled Zucchini
- Vegetable Kabobs
- Balsamic Green Beans
- Oven Roasted Carrots with Garlic and Parsley
- 1 medium sized head of cabbage
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked pepper.
- Cut the cabbage in half and remove the core.
- Slice in half again and then in smaller pieces.
- Add the pieces of cabbage to the instant pot and cover with the vegetable stock.
- Close the lid making sure the pressure valve is locked.
- Cook on manual on high pressure for 5 minutes. Once it finishes do a manual release.
- Remove the cooked cabbage and the remaining stock.
- Set the instant pot on sautee mode and add the butter and melt.
- Crush or press the garlic cloves and add to the butter, sautee for 1 minute until golden brown.
- Add the cooked cabbage and sautee for a couple of minutes. Add salt and freshly cracked pepper.
You can add some meats like bacon or sausage. For this cook them in the instant pot before sautéing the cabbage.
These way of cooking cabbage is one of the quickest and most convenient way, so whenever you need a good veggie side, make some quick instant pot cabbage. However, if you wish to make it in advance for meal prep, it can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days in an airtight container.