Instant Pot artichokes are easy to prepare and delicious to enjoy.
Topped with a honey and mustard sauce this delicious appetizer is packed full of great flavor.
You’re going to love cooking artichokes in an Instant Pot. It’s such an easy way to steam them and it does it at a fraction of the time too. Serve this recipe up to impress your dinner guests or enjoy to yourself as a simple snack.
Why This Recipe Works
- Artichokes are healthy. This recipe is a healthy way to prepare your favorite green vegetables. Artichokes are packed full of fiber, vitamin C, and potassium so they are very good for your body.
- It’s fast. If you’ve ever tried to steam an artichoke on the stove before then you know just how time-consuming it can be. Making artichokes in Instant Pot is much faster.
- It’s simple and fancy. This recipe can be served at a nice dinner party or can be kept simple for snacking on at home. If you’re looking for a simple appetizer for a small crowd, this Instant Pot artichokes recipe could be it.
Ingredients you’ll need for Instant Pot Artichokes:
- Black peppercorns
- Garlic cloves
For the honey and mustard dipping sauce, you will need:
- Olive oil
- Salt Flakes
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
- Instant pot
- Steam rack accessory
- Cutting board
- Small bowl
- Measuring spoons
- 1 spoon
- Kitchen tongs
How to Make Instant Pot Artichokes
Prep your artichokes and discard the hard outer leaves.
Once peeled, cut the top off of the artichokes and remove them. The tops are always hard and fibrous so we don’t want to eat them.
Cut the stem and wash the prepared artichokes well.
Add your steaming rack to the Instant Pot and make sure that the handles are facing upwards.
Add in a glass of water, peppercorns, salt, and crushed garlic cloves. The water should not be covering the top of the steaming rack.
Add in your artichokes, face side down so that the steam can enter them as they cook.
Close the lid to the Instant Pot and set it to high pressure for 10 minutes. Once finished, let it do a natural pressure release for 5 minutes. Do a quick release for the remaining pressure.
While the artichokes are cooking prepare the sauce.
Combine the sugar, mustard, and salt in a small bowl and add in 1 teaspoon of olive oil if you want it a little runnier.
Serve it with your artichokes and top your artichokes with a sprinkling of salt crystals.
Eat your artichokes by picking off the outer leaves and dipping them into the sauce. You should not eat the entire leaf, just eat the part that is closest to the core because it is the most tender.
Once you’ve reached the inside of the artichoke all of the leaves will be very tender and can be eaten in full.
For different serving options, these artichokes are also very delicious with a honey and balsamic vinegar sauce, a sriracha (or hot sauce) mayo, or even plain mayo.
Instant Pot artichoke time will vary based on the size of your artichokes. Medium-sized ones seem to cook well at this speed but larger artichokes may need a few additional minutes.
How long are Instant Pot steamed artichokes good for?
You can keep your leftover artichokes stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. When you want to reheat them just place the artichokes in a pan and add in a little bit of olive oil. Heat until warmed through and serve as desired.
How many artichokes can I fit in my Instant Pot?
A 6 quart Instant Pot may find that it can hold 4-5 medium sized artichokes once they’ve been cut and prepped but this will depend on the size and shape of the artichokes. A larger Instant Pot may fit more and a smaller Instant Pot can fit even fewer artichokes.
How to choose the perfect artichoke
When you’re shopping for fresh artichokes look for the ones that are more of a mild green color. Seeing brown spots is normal but you do want to avoid the artichokes with a lot of purple color or if they look like they are blooming or growing buds. Leaves that are packed tight are also a good sign.
These recipes are packed with artichokes and taste delicious. We are sure that you’re going to love them.
- Vegan Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Tex-Mex Spinach and Artichoke Dip
- Baked Feta Artichoke Dip
- Easy Fettuccine Alfredo with Lemons and Artichokes
- 5 artichokes
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 garlic cloves
For the honey and mustard dipping sauce:
- 3 teaspoons honey
- 3 teaspoons mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil (optional, if you want a runnier sauce)
- Salt flakes to sprinkle over the artichokes
- Start by prepping the artichokes, for this discard the outer hard leaves.
- Once you’ve peeled the outer leaves, cut the top of the artichoke to remove it. The top is always very fibrous and hard.
- Cut the stem and wash the prepped artichokes thoroughly.
- In the Instant pot, insert the steaming rack, for this make sure to insert it with the handles facing up, so you can catch the steamed artichokes easier all at once.
- Add a glass of water, the peppercorns, salt, and the garlic cloves (crushed). The water should not cover the steaming rack.
- Add the artichokes facing upside down, so the steam will enter them.
- Close and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Once it finishes, let the Instant pot make a natural release of pressure for 5 minutes, and then do a quick release of any remaining pressure.
- While the artichokes are cooking prep the sauce:
- In a small bowl add the sugar, mustard, and salt and mix well. If you want a runnier consistency to add 1 teaspoon of olive oil or to taste (optional)
- Serve the artichokes alongside the honey and mustard sauce and a sprinkle of salt crystals.
- To eat them:
- Start by picking the outer leaves (they will fall easily from the artichoke) and dipping the leave in the sauce. You should not eat the entire leave only the part that is closer to the core (the most tender part).
- Once you’ve reached the inside, the leaves will be very tender, so you can eat them entirely.
Amount Per Serving Calories 103Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 0mgSodium 873mgCarbohydrates 22gFiber 8gSugar 5gProtein 4g