Instant pot spaghetti aglio e olio is a simple dish made in your pressure cooker using just a few basic ingredients and minutes of your time.
With very little effort you can enjoy this Italian classic.
For maximum convenience and creaminess, we make these pasta noodles in Instant Pot to create spaghetti aglio e olio. A true Italian delicacy made in your own home. No passports or plane tickets are needed. Just an Instant Pot and a few basic pantry staple ingredients.
Why This Recipe Works
- It’s a faster dinner option. This meal comes together in just a few minutes. Thanks to your Instant Pot you can be enjoying these pasta noodles in less than 30 minutes from start to finish making it a quick meal to put on the table any night of the week.
- It’s pretty frugal. This dish is made with very basic and simple pantry staple ingredients making it cheap to throw together. While you could be paying a lot of money to eat it in a restaurant, at home it doesn’t cost much at all to get it on your plate. Perfect for a tight-budget dinner.
- It tastes incredible. This Spaghetti Aglio olio peperoncino is far more than just garlic and cheese-coated noodles. The flavors we bring to life include a rich and nutty salted cheese sauce coating every pasta noodle. The chili flakes add in a nice kick of heat too. Overall this dish tastes very fancy, which is why it can be found in restaurants all over the Italian area.
Ingredients you’ll need for spaghetti aglio e olio:
- Garlic cloves
- Chili flakes
- Olive oil
- Parmesan cheese
- Fresh parsley
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
- Instant pot
- Kitchen clamps
- Garlic press / fine grater/ knife + cutting board
How to make the spaghetti aglio e olio
Peel and mince your garlic cloves. I recommend using a garlic press or fine grater because they are convenient.
Set your Instant Pot to saute mode and add in the olive oil and tiny minced garlic cloves.
Sautee for 2-3 minutes on high heat until they become golden and fragrant.
Towards the end of this time, add in the chili flakes.
Once the garlic is golden in color, stop sauteing mode and add your spaghetti noodles to the pot. Break the noodles if you have to in order to get them to fit. They will need to fit along the bottom of the pot in a layer.
Add in one cup of water and your salt.
Close the lid over the Instant Pot and set the seal. Pressure cook on high for 7 minutes to make your pasta al dente. If you like your pasta softer then cook them for 9 minutes.
Once the time has elapsed, do a quick pressure release and open the Instant Pot.
Add in half of the grated parmesan cheese and mix together with kitchen tongs. The remaining water and cheese will create a nice and creamy sauce for your noodles.
Serve your warm noodles.
Add more parmesan cheese over the top and chopped parsley for garnish if desired.
When choosing your pasta, not all spaghetti is equal, there are different thicknesses of spaghetti. In my opinion, since we are cooking them in the Instant Pot, it’s better to choose the highest thickness of spaghetti to avoid ending up with mushy pasta. However, feel free to use the spaghetti you have on hand. Just make sure to cook them following the timing instructions written in the box.
For this dish, always make a quick release, to avoid the pasta from keeping cooking.
You can spray a bit of olive oil on top of the raw spaghetti to prevent them from sticking to each other, but do not add too much.
What is Aglio olio e pepperoncino
” Aglio, olio e pepperoncino” means Garlic, oil, and chili, it’s a very simple authentic Italian pasta dish. This dish is a classic and one you can find all over the city but the best of all is that you can find the ingredients to make it in your own kitchen as well.
How long is pasta Aglio olio good for?
This dish tastes best when eaten right away but leftovers can be placed into an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week. Just reheat again before serving.
Can I freeze Spaghetti pasta?
Pasta can be frozen, but depending on how much you’ve cooked it, it can become overcooked when thawing, plus it’s so quick and easy to do I wouldn’t recommend freezing, it’s better to do smaller portions and eat it right after being made or a few days later.
Here are some more delicious Instant Pot recipes you may enjoy:
- Instant Pot Turkish Red Lentil Soup (Mercimek Corbasi)
- Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- Instant Pot Vegetable Soup
- Instant Pot Honey Garlic Glazed Meatballs
- Instant Pot Breakfast Egg Casserole
- Instant Pot Lemon Chicken Breast
- 4 oz (2 oz per person) Spaghetti (if possible nº7, which means that are a bit thicker than regular ones)
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- ½ cup parmesan cheese or grana padano
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Start by peeling and mincing the garlic cloves, for maximum convenience I recommend using a garlic press or a fine grater.
- In your Instant pot on saute mode, add the olive oil and the finely minced garlic cloves and sautee for 2-3 minutes on high until they become golden and fragrant.
- Towards the end add the chili flakes.
- Once the garlic is golden, stop the sauteing mode and add the spaghetti. If needed break them (have in mind you are not going to add tons of water, so they need to stay flat in the bottom of the Instant pot)
- Add 1 cup of water and salt.
- Close the lid making sure is sealed and pressure cook on high for 7 minutes for al dente pasta or 9 minutes for a softer texture.
- Once the time has passed, do a quick release and open the Instant Pot once all the pressure has been released.
- Add half of the grated parmesan to the pot and mix with the kitchen tongs, the remaining pasta water (very little) and the parmesan cheese will create a delicious and light creamy sauce.
- Serve and add more parmesan on top and some chopped parsley.
Amount Per Serving Calories 179Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 22mgSodium 982mgCarbohydrates 7gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 8g