For a delicious go-to dinner that you can feel good about serving to your family, try lentil salad with mango. Packed with all sorts of vitamins and minerals, your body will thank you too.
Lentil Salad With Mango Nutrition Information
Lentil salad with mango is packed with fruits and veggies. With each serving, you get a large part of what your body needs for the day. The recipe is also vegan and gluten-free, meaning it will fit into any special diet that you or your family members may follow.
Health Benefits of Lentils
Lentils are one of the main ingredients in the salad, and below are the benefits you will gain by eating them.
- Lentils help reduce blood pressure and cholesterol
- Eating lentils can help manage weight
- Lentils can also assist in managing diabetes
- Lentils are an excellent source of protein, iron, folate, and potassium
- There are only 230 calories per 1 cup serving of lentils
Health Benefits of Mango
Mango, the star ingredient, also has many health benefits you should be aware of.
- 1 Cup of mango contains 99 calories
- Mango contains 18% of your daily folate
- Mango is rich in vitamins B6, A, E, and K
- Eating mango may help prevent diabetes
- Eating mango helps boost your immune system
There are a few steps you’ll need to take before you can make this amazing salad. One of which is to prepare the mango.
How to Prepare Mango to Eat in Salad
Step 1: Cut off the End
See the part of the mango that was once connected to the tree? Cut this off so the mango will stand on its own on your cutting board.
Step 2: Cut Down
Starting from the top cut down vertically on one side. If there is resistance, move the knife out a bit and try again.
Step 3: Chop
Once you have a rounded slice of mango, make a grid pattern on the mango with your knife.
Step 4: Put in a Bowl
The mango should easily peel off into a bowl. Repeat steps 1-4 with the other sides of the mango until all 4 have been cut.
After preparing the mango, you will also need to prepare the lentils.
How to Cook Lentils for Salad
Step 1: Rinse
Rinse your lentils thoroughly.
Step 2: Boil
Add your lentils to a pot of boiling water. You can add a cube of bouillon if you desire. Cook for 20 minutes.
Step 3: Strain
After 20 minutes, strain your lentils. Since they will be going into a salad, we recommend putting them in the fridge to chill.
Mango Lentil Salad Ingredients
While your lentils are cooling, grab the rest of the ingredients.
- Red Onion
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Green Pepper
- Fresh Chives
- Fresh Mint
- Olive Oil
- Garlic Powder
- Chili Flakes
Step-by-Step Instructions on How to Make Lentil Salad with Mango
Have all the ingredients? Here’s how you put the salad together.
Step 1: Rinse
Rinse all of the vegetable ingredients and chop them to your desired sizes.
Step 2: Prepare the Lentils and Mango
Prepare the mango and the lentils per the directions above. However, if you’re using cooked lentils from a can, make sure to rinse them before using them in the salad.
Step 3: Mix
In a salad bowl, mix the veggies with your chilled lentils. Add the chopped mango.
Step 4: Make the Dressing
In a separate bowl, combine the olive oil, herbs, salt, garlic, lime juice, and chili flakes. Mix them together.
Step 5: Toss the Salad
Toss the dressing with the salad until it is evenly coated. Serve immediately.
Mango Lentil Salad Expert Tips:
While this lentil recipe is easy to make, we’ve got a few expert tips to help you make it even better.
- While this salad is vegetarian, you can always add chopped chicken, turkey, or ham if you desire.
- If you wait 30 minutes after preparing this salad to serve it, the flavors will develop better and give you a more flavorful salad.
- Make extra and pack as lunch for the week.
How to Store Lentil Salad with Mango
Lentil salad needs to be stored in an airtight container in the fridge. For best results, consume within 3 days of preparation.
What Kind of Fruit is Mango?
Mango is a type of fruit known as a drupe which has an outer skin and inedible center pit. Other fruits in this family also include cherries and peaches.
Is Mango High in Sugar?
Mango is high in sugar for fruit, with nearly 46 grams per mango. But remember that this is natural and not artificial sugar.
Do Lentils Have Complete Protein?
Lentils are not considered a complete source of protein because while they contain some amino acids, they are missing methionine and cystine which are needed to classify it as a complete protein.
Are Lentil Salads Healthy?
Lentil salads are considered healthy because they contain protein, fiber, and iron and will fill you up while also being low in calories.
Overall, there is nothing quite like pulling out a lentil salad with mango on a warm summer’s night. Packed with all the good stuff, while still being tasty, this salad makes eating healthy a breeze. The best part is it’s so easy to make that you can easily make extra and use it for packed lunches all week long.
Lentil Salad with Mango
Wholesome lentil salad with mango and lots of other veggies, so healthy, colorful, and filling.
- 1 pound cooked lentils (home-cooked or canned)
- 1 mango
- 1 carrot
- 1 avocado
- 1 red onion
- 1 ½ cups cherry tomatoes
- 2 cucumbers
- 1 green pepper
- 1 bunch of fresh chives
- 1 bunch of fresh mint
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- The juice of one lime
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chilly flakes (optional)
- Wash all the veggies and prep them:
- Chop finely the red onion, the cucumbers, the carrot, the mango, the avocado, and the green pepper.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half.
- If the cooked lentils are from a can, make sure to rinse them before using them in the salad.
- In a salad bowl add the lentils and the chopped veggies.
- In a small bowl combine the olive oil, the fresh herbs finely minced, the salt, the garlic powder, the chilly flakes, and the lime juice. Mix well.
- Dress the salad with the dressing and mix well.
- Serve immediately or let sit for 30 minutes for the flavors to develop.
This salad is naturally vegan or vegetarian, but feel free to add any protein of your choice like sauteed tofu to keep it vegan-vegetarian or chicken, tuna, or salmon.
It keeps fresh in the fridge for up to 3 days in sealed containers.
Amount Per Serving Calories 405Total Fat 19gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 15gCholesterol 0mgSodium 550mgCarbohydrates 52gFiber 16gSugar 20gProtein 14g
Leave a Reply