These easy refrigerator pickles are a summer staple! They are easy to make and will enhance anything you serve them with!
Refrigerator Pickles Everywhere
Our family dinner table always had three staples when I was growing up, bread and butter (unless mom was watching her cholesterol, then we only had bread), Kalamata olives and feta cheese. It didn’t matter if mom was serving a Greek dish or southern fried chicken, those three things would always be set smack in the center of the dinner table.
When I met my husband’s family, I realized they had also had a dinnertime staple; pickles. My father-in-law loved Tony Packo’s pickles, especially the sweet kind. I completely appreciated the brined “side-dish”, but sweet pickles were never my thing.
About Refrigerator Pickles
Or at least I thought sweet pickles weren’t my thing until I made this refrigerator pickle recipe! I love the tangy, sweet, and spicy combination of this recipe but it is totally adaptable and is easy to make.
- I used a few pickle cucumbers or mini cucumbers. They came in packs in my Kroger store and honestly, a regular cucumber would do just fine.
- Keep your cucumber slices on the thinner side, but not too thin because you want something to bite into.
- I added sliced jalapenos to my recipe. You could omit them, add more or add other ingredients like cauliflower florets, pepper slices, or onions.
- I did not add that much sugar; again, I am not a fan of bread and butter style or sweet pickles. It will be easy for you to adjust the amount of sugar in this recipe as long as you taste as you go.
- The rest of the ingredients are seasoning, I used garlic salt (using a whole clove could be so lovely), celery salt and cracked pepper. Once you combine all the ingredients, let them sit in the refrigerator and enjoy!
These pickles might make a nightly appearance on my dinner table. Every family has to have their thing. My favorite ways to use pickles? Dill Pickle Pasta Salad, “Fried” Pickle Dip, Pickle Pizza, and Baked Pickle Chips!
- 4 mini cucumbers, sliced (Kroger has 4 packaged together in the produce section)
- 1 jalapeno, sliced
- ½ cup distilled white vinegar
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked pepper (I used the Private Selection Cracked Pepper Seasoning Rub)
In a bowl, combine the vinegar, sugar, garlic salt, celery salt, and pepper, stir until sugar has dissolved. Add the sliced cucumbers and jalapenos and refrigerate for an hour or until ready to serve.
The cucumbers are best when eaten within a day or so, they do tend to soften in the brine.
My vinegar, sugar, and seasoning were all Kroger brand
Amount Per Serving Calories 0Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 0mgFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 0g