This pizza pasta is saucy and filled with all the pizza toppings you and your family love!
This easy skillet meal will please everyone who comes to the table!
Every time we go out to a pizza restaurant, we show up as a family divided. Half the family wants pizza and half of the family wants pasta. There is nothing wrong with these varying tastes, but at home, I know exactly how to unify us all and that is by making this pizza pasta! I love easy recipes, especially when they involve one skillet and they taste this good!
What Is Pizza Pasta?
I’m not sure this needs any explanation, but pizza pasta is a super simple pasta dish that incorporates all typical pizza toppings like sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms, and cheese. This a one-pot skillet meal that saves you time and your sanity (one dish to wash, yay!!). Plus who can pass up pizza OR pasta?
WHERE IS THE PIZZA PAST RECIPE?
If you’d rather skip cooking tips, suggestions, handy substitutions, related recipe ideas – and get straight to the Pizza Pasta Recipe– simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
How To Make Pizza Pasta
I start this meal off by browning Italian sausage in a large, deep skillet. I added sliced mushrooms to the sausage as well as a little garlic. I seasoned my dish and added sliced pepperoni.
From here, I like to add my dry pasta to the meat mixture. This adds a little “toasty” flavor to the pasta and enhances the flavor of the dish. The liquid is added next and it is brought to a boil. From here, it is just a matter of cooking the pasta until al dente. I like to cover the dish while the pasta cooks. This will help the sauce reduce and thicken.
Once the pasta is ready, top the pasta with shredded cheese and broil on low if desired.
What Else Can I Use To Make Pizza Pasta?
Italian sausage and pepperoni are classic pizza meats, but ground beef, pancetta, ham, and bacon can all be used in this recipe.
Feel free to change out the veggies. Peppers, olives, onions, spinach are all great options.
I used ziti for this recipe because it is hardy and the grooves will trap all that yummy sauce, but feel free to swap out the pasta.
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 3 oz sliced pepperoni
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 lb ziti pasta
- 1 14 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 14 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cans water
- 1 cups shredded mozzarella
- Place a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Add Italian sausage and cook until crumbled and browned.
- Add mushrooms and garlic to sausage, cooking until mushrooms have just begun to soften. Stir in pepperoni,.
- Season meat mixture with salt, oregano, and basil; stir.
- Add dried pasta and allow the pasta to cook with the meat for 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes and water. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and cover.
- Continue to cook pasta for 20 minutes stirring often. Cook until pasta is al dente and sauce has thickened.
- Top the past with the shredded cheese. Place pasta under the broiler on low for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is bubbly (optional).
Amount Per Serving Calories 386Total Fat 25gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 16gCholesterol 59mgSodium 1301mgCarbohydrates 20gFiber 3gSugar 7gProtein 21g