Mini lemon hand pies are buttery and flaky pie dough, shaped into single-sized portions and filled with homemade lemon curd filling!
Perfect little bite-sized lemon desserts!
These lemon hand pies are an easy-to-make dessert that’s perfect for any occasion. Make them in summer and enjoy the bright tangy flavor explosion or serve them throughout the year. There’s no wrong time to enjoy lemons and with this recipe making about a dozen mini lemon pies, you’ll have plenty to share for parties and events too! Every lemon curd pie has a completely irresistible and tartly sweet filling.
What Are Hand Pies?
Hand pies are small pastries that can either have a sweet or savory filling. The dough is folded over the filling and crimped until sealed. They can be baked, fried, or deep-fried. This recipe starts by making homemade lemon curd. Lemon curd (made with eggs, sugar, and lemon juice) is easy and has many uses. I have a post with a video on how easy it is to make lemon curd at home!
- Granulated Sugar
- Lemon Zest
- Lemon Juice
- Unsalted Butter
You will also need:
- Prepared Pie Crusts
- White Chocolate Chips
- Vegetable Oil
To see the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
How To Make Lemon Hand Pies
To make the lemon curd, combine sugar and eggs in a bowl. Whisk in lemon zest and lemon juice. Stir in melted butter. Microwave lemon curd for 1-minute stir. Continue to heat the lemon mixture at 1-minute intervals until the mixture begins to thicken and easily coats the back of a spoon. Refrigerate to set.
STEP ONE – Unroll the first round of dough and place it on a floured work surface. Using a biscuit cutter, cut the dough into small round circles. Place each cut circle on a lined baking sheet, then place the baking sheet in the freezer for 15 to 30 minutes.
Repeat this process with the second round of dough.
STEP TWO – Remove the sheets from the freezer and place a spoonful of lemon curd in the center of half of the circles. Place the remaining circles over each filled pie.
STEP THREE – Place an egg and water in a small bowl and whisk slightly. Brush the egg wash over each pie and carefully crimp the edge of the dough. Carefully cut a few slits into the tops of each pie to allow for steam to escape during baking.
STEP FOUR – Bake the pies for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove the pies to a baking rack and allow them to cool completely.
STEP FIVE – Once the pies have cooled, place white chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and heat it until melted. Drizzle chocolate over the pies and allow the chocolate to set.
These pies can be served warm or at room temperature.
- Pie Crust. The recipe is made simple by using pre-made pie dough. You could easily make this recipe using puff pastry, filo dough, crescent roll dough, or biscuit dough if you prefer.
- Lemon Curd. Jarred lemon curd can be used in place of homemade, but homemade really does taste so much better!
- Make sure to keep your dough nice and cold. Chilling the dough in plastic wrap makes the dough easier to work with, it keeps the dough buttery and flakey and prevents the dough from shrinking during the baking process.
- Eggwash is optional but recommended. The egg wash will help the pies turn a nice golden color as they bake which makes them look so inviting.
- Cool the pies. Allow the pies to cool completely before adding the drizzle. This will help to get the chocolate to set faster and stay put instead of running off of the crust.
- Leftover lemon filling. If you have leftover lemon curd on hand you can top cheesecakes with it, add it to the center of thumbprint cookies or even make some yummy Sweet Tea Lemon Bars.
How To Store Hand Pies
These mini pies can be stored in the fridge, in an airtight container for up to 3 days, or kept frozen for up to one month.
How Do You Freeze Hand Pies?
I like to freeze my hand pies once they have cooled and before drizzling them with the white chocolate. Place the hand pies in a single layer in an airtight container. Place sheets of wax paper between each layer. Thaw them in the fridge before you remove them. Then proceed with the white chocolate drizzle. You can also freeze the unbaked hand pies, thaw, and then bake as directed.
How To Crimp Hand Pies
I like to use the tines of a fork. Gently press the tips of your fork into the dough. If you find that the dough is not sticking together, lightly wet the dough with a touch of water.
What To Serve With Hand Pies?
Hand pies do not need much, they are amazing on their own, however, powdered sugar, cinnamon sugar, sour cream mixed with brown sugar, or ice cream are all perfect with fruit-filled hand pies!
Speaking of filling, I’ve sampled this recipe using a variety of pie fillings and I am happy to report they turned out great! These hand pies are simple yet fun bite-sized treats! Your family is going to love them!
For the lemon curd:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 lemon zested
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 14.1 package refrigerated Pillsbury Pie Crust
- 1 whole egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/3 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/8 teaspoon vegetable oil
- In a bowl, combine sugar and eggs. Whisk in lemon zest and lemon juice. Stir in melted butter. Microwave lemon mixture for 1-minute stir. Continue to heat lemon mixture in 1-minute intervals until mixture begins to thicken and easily coats the back of a spoon. Refrigerate to set.
- Meanwhile, bring piecrust to room temperature. Unroll one pie crust on a floured surface. Using a 3â?? biscuit cutter cut crust into circles and place dough on a cookie tray. You should get about 10-12 circles. Repeat with remaining piecrust. Place trays of dough in the refrigerator to chill about for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425. Prepare egg wash by lightly beating together the egg and the water. Remove dough from the refrigerator and place a spoonful of lemon curd onto the center of one tray of dough. Brush edges with egg wash and place circles from second tray over each lemon topped pie. Using a fork, crimp the edges to seal the pies. Generously brush the tops of each pie with remaining egg wash. Using a pairing knife, carefully cute 3 slits onto the tops of each pie. Bake pies for 12-15 minutes or until golden. Let cool completely.
- In a small bowl, melt chocolate and vegetable oil together. Drizzle white chocolate over pies. Let set completely before storing.
Serving Size1 mini pie
Amount Per Serving Calories 240Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 85mgSodium 152mgCarbohydrates 28gFiber 1gSugar 20gProtein 4g