Easy Cinnamon Rolls Hand Pies surround a sweet cinnamon and nut filling, then topped with a cream cheese topping.
These easy cinnamon rolls hand pies are portable little treats!
This is an easy cinnamon rolls recipe that will compliment your morning coffee, top off your evening meal or satisfy your sweet tooth at any moment in between. I love how simple and quick this recipe comes together and I’m sure you will too. Made to taste like the wonderful filling of a cinnamon roll in a soft and buttery crust, every bite is a wonderful sweet treat packed with warm and comforting spices.
What Are Cinnamon Rolls Hand Pies?
They’re a simple recipe perfect for breakfast and dessert! The method for this recipe comes from my lemon hand pies. They do take planning, as the dough needs to be chilled (15 minutes is all). However, since you are using store bought pie crust, the entire recipe is a snap to prepare.
My filling is a creamy blend of butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and Blue Diamond Honey Roasted Almonds. The almonds add crunch and deep, naturally sweet flavor. The cream cheese icing is tangy enough to balance out that sweet, cinnamon filling.
There you have it; an easy cinnamon rolls recipe that will compliment your morning coffee, top off your evening meal or satisfy your sweet tooth at any moment in between.
- Refrigerated Pillsbury Pie Crusts
For the eggwash you will need:
For the filling, you will need:
- Brown sugar
- Blue Diamond Honey Roasted Almonds
For the glaze, you will need:
- Cream cheese
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract
How to Make Easy Cinnamon Rolls Hand Pies
- Bring your pie crusts to room temperature so that they are easier to work with.
- Unroll one onto a floured surface and use a 3-inch biscuit cutter or the rim of a juice glass to cut circles into the crust.
- Place the circles onto a cookie tray. You should be able to get about 10-12 circles,
- Repeat with the remaining crust.
- Place the treats into the fridge to let the dough chill for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, and nuts.
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
- Prepare the egg wash by whisking together the egg and water until combined.
- Remove the dough from the fridge.
- Place a teaspoon of the filling onto the center of one tray of dough circles.
- Brush the edges with egg has and then place the empty circles on top, using a fork to crimp the edges to seal the pie.
- Generously brush the egg wash over the top of the crust.
- Use a pairing knife to carefully cut 3 vents into each pie.
- Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes or until golden in color.
- Allow cooling completely.
- In a small bowl whisk together the glaze ingredients until smooth.
- Drizzle over the top of the hand pies.
How to store cinnamon roll hand pies
Keep these pies stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week if left unfrosted. Once the cream cheese frosting has been added on top you will need to keep them stored in the fridge.
What are hand pies?
hand pies are basically small portable pie pockets that can be filled with any number of tasty fillings. Baked to perfection and then served they can be seen as a dessert, light meal, or even an appetizer depending on what’s inside.
Can I use homemade pie crust?
Absolutely! If you want to make your pie crust from scratch, go right ahead! I like to use storebought because it’s simple and quick but you can use whichever method you prefer.
Here are some more great hand pie recipes that are perfect for meals and desserts
- 1 14.1 oz package refrigerated Pillsbury Pie Crust (2 crusts in a box)
- 1 whole egg + 1 teaspoon of water
- 4 tablespoon butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 cup Blue Diamond Honey Roasted Almonds, ground or finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- Bring pie crusts to room temperature. Unroll one pie crust on a floured surface. Using a 3’ biscuit cutter (or a juice glass) cut crust into circles and place dough on a cookie tray. You should get about 10-12 circles. Repeat with remaining piecrust. Place trays of dough in the refrigerator to chill about for 15 minutes.
- Combine the butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and nuts in small bowl.
- Preheat oven to 425. Prepare egg wash by lightly beating together the egg and the water. Remove dough from refrigerator and place a teaspoon of the filling onto the center of one tray of dough. Brush edges with egg wash and place circles from the second tray over each cinnamon topped pie. Using a fork, crimp the edges to seal the pies. Generously brush the tops of each pie with remaining egg wash. Using a pairing knife, carefully cut 3 slits onto the tops of each pie. Bake pies for 12-15 minutes or until golden. Let cool completely.
- In a small bowl, whisk together butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla and milk and drizzle over cooled hand pies.
Amount Per Serving Calories 145Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 33mgSodium 78mgCarbohydrates 16gFiber 1gSugar 14gProtein 1g