Key Lime Homemade Waffles Recipes – This homemade waffles recipe has a subtle key lime flavor that tastes perfect with homemade strawberry topping!
This post is sponsored by Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Almondmilk.
I love small appliances. In fact, I was collecting them. They aren’t the best things to collect; they take up too much space. Let’s see; I had a bread machine. Bread machines were popular when my husband and I got married. I am fairly certain I only produced a half a dozen loaves of bread. The bread machine was the first thing to be given away during out last move.
I owned a George Forman back when those were popular. It was the small one, however, and it took us twice as long to cook chicken then it would have taken us using any other cooking method. That had to go too. I had a sandwich maker, a smoothie blender, a cake pop maker and a popcorn popper. None of those made the move either.
Recently I purchased a waffle iron. I was hesitant at first, considering my past. But I have a deep love for chicken and waffles together (like in this pizza or this salad) and the thought of making my version was intoxicating. Besides, who doesn’t love waffles?
What I love about waffles is they are versatile, they can be made sweet or savory. They can be dessert, breakfast, appetizers or the main course. I’ve scratched the surface of savory waffles, but with Mother’s Day upon us, I felt compelled to deliver an incredible sweet version that would knock mom’s socks off. Ok, I made them for myself…I’m a mom too.
This homemade waffles recipe is so easy
I combined my dry ingredients in a bowl. In a separate bowl, I whisked my eggs, Almond Breeze Vanilla Almondmilk Coconutmilk Blend (Lime and coconut are natural pairs), key lime juice and key lime zest. But that’s not all.
To contrast the tangy and tart key lime flavor, I topped these fluffy waffles with a fresh strawberry topping. A little extra key lime zest sprinkled on top sends your taste buds into a tailspin!
This homemade waffle recipe is worthy of a special occasion…like celebrating mom.
Key Lime Homemade Waffles Recipe
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cup Almond Breeze Almondmilk Coconutmilk Blend
- 1/4 cup key lime juice
- 2 key limes, zested, about 1 tablespoon
- 1/2 cup butter ,melted
- 1 16 oz package strawberries, sliced
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Juice from 1/2 a lemon
- Combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, the Almondmilk Coconutmilk Blend, the key lime juice and the key lime zest. Add in melted butter.
- Prepare waffles per the waffle iron directions.
- To prepare the sauce, combine strawberries, sugar and lemon juice in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook down strawberries until they are soft and juice thickens.