What’s so great about chicken and waffles? It turns out crispy fried chicken and sweet Belgian waffles are the perfect pair. I can’t always have my favorite culinary duo, but this pizza recipe is quick, easy and a pretty darn good substitute!
My youngest had her first ever gymnastics championship meet over the weekend. She did quite well, great scores (all personal bests), she showed a lot of confidence and grace for a seven year and she held this composure all the way up until the awards were given out. The awards was where it all broke down. Despite my daughter’s performance, she was the only one on her team who did not earn a medal. The look on her face when she realized her neck would be devoid of medals, would have made a hardened criminal cry. Big, ploppy, tears instantly began streaming down her soft, little cheeks. All the joy she displayed moments ago had been stripped away.
I know disappointment is a part of life, and I know this is a lesson kids need to learn, but it can be darn right painful to watch. I fed her every inspirational quote and life lesson I could think of, but she was inconsolable. There was only one thing to do and that my friends was to stop for milkshakes. Ice cream makes EVERYTHING better. Well, at least, it makes everything better to a seven-year-old. I personally think chicken and waffles would make everything better for me.
Chicken and waffles are my happy food.
The first time I tried chicken and waffles together, I fell hard in love. There is something so magical about the way crispy, seasoned chicken and tender, sweet Belgian waffles taste when eaten together. Drizzle maple syrup and hot sauce on top and let yourself feel the smile spreading across your face. I’m giddy just thinking about it.
I cannot recreate the flavors of my favor restaurant’s chicken and waffles recipe. Instead, I try to come up with clever alternatives. Chicken and waffles salad (a winner), or a chicken waffles sandwich will all do when my craving hits. Now with this chicken and waffles pizza in my arsenal; I can enjoy the flavors of my favorite meal without ever leaving the house!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 packet Fleischmann's Pizza Crust Yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup very warm water
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 cups mozzarella, divided
- 2 cups cheddar, divided
- 2 cups chopped fried chicken tenders (frozen, thawed)
- 1 Belgian waffle, lightly toasted and chopped
- 3 strips of cooked bacon, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine 1 cup of flour, yeast, sugar and salt. Mix slowly; stir in water and oil until blended.
- Gradually beat in enough flour until the dough forms a soft ball. Dough will be sticky.
- Knead dough on a floured surface until smooth. With floured hands, pat your dough to fit a greased pizza pan.
- Spread melted butter over your pizza dough and sprinkle with onion powder and garlic powder. Top with 1 cup of mozzarella cheese and 1 cup of cheddar cheese. Arrange chopped chicken and bacon over the cheese followed by the remaining cheese. Sprinkle waffle pieces over cheese.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges are golden and cheese is bubbly.
- Serve with maple syrup and hot sauce if desired.
- Crust recipe from Fleischmann's
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 794 Total Fat 41g Saturated Fat 15g Trans Fat 1g Unsaturated Fat 23g Cholesterol 97mg Sodium 1470mg Carbohydrates 71g Fiber 3g Sugar 2g Protein 34g