Browned butter makes homemade waffles taste gourmet! The deep rich flavor of the waffles is enhanced by the fragrant rum spiced pear topping!
In my family, there are two kinds of breakfast eaters. There are those who prefer to eat eggs (sunny side up), with a side of toast, bacon or sausage and hashbrowns. Then there are others who gravitate towards the sweet life. Pancakes drenched with syrup, stacks of waffles, stuffed crepes and French toast with dripping fruit and swirls of whipped cream are favorites of these family members. Those egg eater rarely venture to the sweet side, and the sweet focused family members rarely ask for eggs.
Which camp do I fall? I’ll take a stack of waffles easily over bacon and eggs. Don’t get me wrong; I love a good egg and turkey hash or even a breakfast pizza, but sweet breakfasts steal my heart. Pancakes are quick and easy to whip up any time I need a sweet breakfast. I love French toast too, especially if it is a baked French toast or a strawberry cheesecake stuffed French toast. But waffles are quickly becoming one of my new favorite things. Yes, you do need a waffle maker. But they are not that expensive, do not take up much space and are pretty easy to use.
Browned butter is my perpetual addiction. It adds such a deep flavor to every recipe. It is not difficult; you just need to watch your butter as it cooks. Once it starts to turn brown, remove it from the heat. This browned, melted butter will go directly into your waffle batter. From here, you mostly follow manufacturer’s directions to prepare your waffles, and then you top them with these spiced pears! I did add a little dark rum to my pears but any extract could be substituted.
These waffles almost ensure that I will continue to request sweets for breakfast. Eggs are wonderful, but you can’t top them with spiced pears!
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup browned butter
- 2 bosc pears peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon spiced dark rum (such as Captain Morgans)
- To prepare browned butter, heat 1/2 cup butter over high heat. When butter begins to boil, reduce heat and allow it to cook until it turns a dark amber; remove from heat.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Whisk in eggs, milk and browned butter. Prepare waffles according to manufacturer's directions.
- Meanwhile, prepare the pears. In a large skillet, combine the chopped pears, butter, and brown sugar. Cook pears until they are tender and caramelized about 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in rum.
- Serve waffles topped with pears.
Amount Per Serving Calories 504Total Fat 21gSaturated Fat 12gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 113mgSodium 384mgCarbohydrates 72gFiber 3gSugar 33gProtein 9g