This Buffalo chicken soup is for all the Buffalo wing lovers out there! This soup has just enough heat for the die-hard wing fans yet mild enough for the tenderest of taste buds!
I have always had a huge love for vinegar based foods. When I was a young kid, my favorite thing to do was to drink the pickle juice straight from the jar. The jar wouldn’t even have to be empty, I would just down the brine and leave the limp pickles for someone else (bet my family loved that). Brine soaked feta cheese, kalamata olives, and mustard would all hold a special place in my heart. The more vinegar they had, the more I loved them.
When I first discovered Buffalo wing sauce, I think I heard choirs of angels sing. I couldn’t believe there was a sauce that held two my most favorite things, vinegar, and spicy heat. It was love at first bite. Since then I’ve gone on to try to incorporate Buffalo wing sauce into my diet in as many ways as possible. There was Buffalo Cobbler, Buffalo Fettucine, Buffalo Meatballs and Buffalo Chili, oh and Buffalo Shrimp Egg Rolls. But this soup shoots up to the top of this list; it is too good.
One thing I love about this recipe is that from the herbs to the chicken, this recipe was made entirely out of Kroger Brand products which means everything is so accessible; you have no reason to NOT try this soup! I used a bag of frozen onion, celery, and pepper mix. You could absolutely substitute fresh vegetables if you have them handy. I used a mild Buffalo wing sauce because that’s what my kids prefer, but you can go as hot as you like! This recipe does use milk; I wanted a creamy feel to this recipe. I prefer whole milk, I think it makes for a creamier, richer texture and taste. Finally to make your life easier, use a rotisserie chicken! The taste will be great and it helps to get dinner on the table that much sooner!
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup frozen onion, celery and pepper mix
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 7 cups chicken broth (I used Simple Truth)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup Buffalo Wing Sauce (I used Kroger Store Brand mild)
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- Blue cheese crumbles
- Place a large stock pot over medium heat. Add butter and vegetables and cook until butter is melted and veggies are soft. Whisk in flour. Season mixture with thyme, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Slowly whisk in chicken broth and milk. Bring soup to a slow boil, stir in Buffalo wing sauce and shredded chicken. Reduce heat and continue to cook for another 20 minutes or until soup has slightly thickened.
- Top each bowl of soup with blue cheese crumbles upon serving.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 268Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 72mgSodium 1947mgCarbohydrates 14gFiber 1gSugar 8gProtein 18g