Creamy buffalo chicken and vegetables are topped with blue cheese biscuits in this easy savory cobbler recipe!
Each time we go to Disney, I’m grossed out by the turkey legs. If you’ve been to Disney, then you know exactly what I’m talking about. There is something barbaric about walking around munching on a turkey leg. Perhaps it has less to do with the fact that it’s a turkey leg and more to do with it being an obscenely large turkey leg. I find myself staring at people while they are gnawing on their bones, it’s like a train wreck; I cannot look away.
I am very well aware of my hypocrisy, however. Each time I dig into a heaping stack of chicken wings, I see the parallel between eating chicken wings and eating turkey legs. Nibbling on chicken wings is no less barbaric. I’m still holding a body part, I’m still gnawing on a bone, I can walk with it, I can waive it around, and it is delicious. The only real difference between a chicken wing and a Disney turkey bone is the size. Oh, and the wings I eat are smothered in spicy Buffalo chicken wing sauce.
In all honestly, the appeal of the chicken wing has more to do with the sauce than the actual wing. I think Buffalo wing sauce is the “bees knees.” I’ve elevated so many dishes with my favorite wing sauce. I’ve added it to chili, deviled eggs, and even Alfredo sauce. It adds a creamy, spicy heat that I find divine.
This time, I took comfort food to a whole new level. This Buffalo chicken cobbler has a creamy chicken base that is loaded with chicken, vegetables and gets spiced up with my favorite wing sauce. Then homemade blue cheese drop biscuits are dolloped on top. The biscuits are tender, flaky, savory biscuits that absorb the piquant sauce perfectly.
If you love comfort food this, Buffalo chicken cobbler is for you. And if you love spicy comfort food, well then this dish is a match made in Heaven!
- 2 lb chicken cut into small bite sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup Buffalo wing sauce ( I used Franks Red Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce)
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 stick of butter, chilled
- 4 oz crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, divided
- Heat olive oil in a large deep skillet over medium heat. Add chicken pieces. Sprinkle chicken with salt and poultry seasoning; cook chicken until no longer pink. Remove chicken, set aside. Add butter to the same skillet. Stir in celery and flour. Whisk in chicken broth and milk until no lumps remain. Stir in Buffalo wing sauce and frozen vegetables and chicken pieces.
- Pour mixture into an 8 x 8 inch baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick spray.
- To prepare the biscuits, combine flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Cut in cold butter until mixture is crumbly. Mix in crumbled blue cheese and chives; followed by 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream. Work the dough by hand until it comes together (it will remain a bit crumbly). Scoop dough by hand or cookie scoop and place scoops over chicken mixture. Brush remaining 1/4 cup of heavy cream over the top of the biscuits.
- Place cobbler in an oven that has been preheated to 375 degrees. Bake cobbler for 30-40 minutes or until biscuits are brown and the mixture is bubbly.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 756 Total Fat 52g Saturated Fat 28g Trans Fat 1g Unsaturated Fat 21g Cholesterol 213mg Sodium 1195mg Carbohydrates 33g Fiber 2g Sugar 3g Protein 37g