If you love lemon, this pie is for you. This tangy lemon pie is cool, smooth and creamy.
It is easy to make, fun to eat and the perfect bright, and sunny pick me up.
If you’re looking for the perfect summer dessert, then this easy lemon pie is it. Made with a silky smooth lemon filling, this creamy lemon pie is nestled in a pie crust made from shortbread cookies (or you can use a graham cracker crust to keep it more traditional).
Topped with whipped cream and fresh lemon zest this pie almost looks too good to eat! Making this pie is easy and simple, but restaining yourself from eating it all by yourself is hard and difficult.
What Is Lemon Pie?
This lemon pie features a shortbread crust and super tangy and creamy custard lemon filling.
This is a baked pie that tastes so vibrant and fresh! It is such a fabulous spring pie, but it is delicious at any time of the year.
Make with Meyer lemons for an even sweter lemon flavor and no one will be able to resist this gorgeous tasty pie recipe.
What Do I Need To Make Lemon Pie?
- Shortbread cookies
- Granulated sugar
- Unsalted butter
- Egg yolks
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Lemon juice– fresh lemon juice is best but you can use bottled if needed. The bottle of concentrate will give you a stronger lemon flavor.
- The zest from 1 lemon
- Whipped cream for garnish
How Do I Make Lemon Pie From Scratch?
To start the recipe, we will work with the crust.
I chose to use shortbread cookies for this recipe because I thought the buttery flavor of shortbread cookies worked really well with the tart lemon filling.
STEP ONE -Place the shortbread cookies in a food processor and pulse until you get fine crumbs. Toss the cookie crumbs together with melted butter and sugar. Press the crumbs into a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate. The crust will take 8-10 minutes to bake at 350 degrees. Place the crust in the freezer while you prepare the filling.
STEP TWO – Prepare the filling, stir together egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk, lemon juice (use fresh lemons if possible), and lemon zest. Pour the pie filling into the crust, spread into an even layer and bake for only 15 minutes or until set. Remove the pie from the oven and allow it to cool completely.
STEP THREE – Cover the cooled lemon pie and refrigerate it for 4 hours or overnight.
Garnish the pie with whipped cream and lemon slices if desired,
Lemon Pie Recipe Tips
- Feel free to use a traditional graham cracker crumb crust (premade or homemade) for this recipe.
- If you do not have a 9 inch deep dish, then use a regular 10-inch pie dish instead.
- What to do with all those leftover egg whites? Make a meringue! Cover the pie in the meringue for a lemon meringue pie and refrigerate as directed.
- The creamy lemon filling flavor is really potent in this pie! You can use a little less lemon juice if desired.
- Bottled lemon juice can be used in place of fresh.
- The pie can be prepared up to 2 days in advance.
How to Make Meringue for Lemon Pie
Place 4 egg whites, 1/2 teaspoon of cream of tartar, and 1 teaspoon vanilla in a medium-sized bowl and beat with electric mixers until soft peaks form. Gradually add in the granulated sugar and continue to mix until the meringue forms stiff peaks. Spread over the top of the lemon filling in the pie crust and then bake and cool as directed.
How long is creamy lemon pie good for?
You can keep this lemon pie stored in the fridge for up to a week, but it will taste best if eaten within 5 days. After that, the lemon filling can begin to sweat and separate.
Can Lemon Pie Be Frozen?
Yes! Place the uncovered pie in the freezer with 1 or 2 inches of space on all sides. Chill until it freezes solid, about 2 hours.
Wrap two layers of plastic wrap around both the pie and plate. Rotate the pie by 45 degrees and wrap another two layers around it. Cover the entire pie and seal the seams tight.
Place the pie in a heavy-duty freezer bag and mark the date on it. Store the pie in the freezer for up to one month for the best quality.
Thaw frozen pies in the refrigerator for one to two hours
More Pie Recipes:
- Butterfinger Pie
- Black Bottom Cherry Cream Pie
- Coconut Banana Cream Pie
- Lemon Recipes:
- Lemon Frosted Zucchini Cake
- Mini Lemon Hand Pies
- Lemon Crumb Cake
- 1 10 oz package shortbread cookies
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
Lemon Mixture for Filling
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 cans sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup lemon juice
- The zest from 1 lemon
- Whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- For the crust, place the shortbread cookies in a food processor and pulse until you get fine crumbs.
- Toss the cookie crumbs together with melted butter and sugar.
- Press the crumbs into a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate.
- The crust will take 8-10 minutes to bake.
- Place the crust in the freezer while you prepare the filling.
- For the filling, stir together egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk, lemon juice (use fresh lemons if possible), and lemon zest. Whisk until combined.
- Pour the filling into the crust and bake for only 15 minutes or until set.
- Remove the pie from the oven and allow it to cool completely.
Cover the pie and refrigerate it for 4 hours or overnight.
Amount Per Serving Calories 353Total Fat 22gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 165mgSodium 219mgCarbohydrates 34gFiber 1gSugar 17gProtein 5g