This is the fluffiest, creamiest cherry cream pie you’ll ever taste!
The black bottom chocolate layer is a pleasant surprise!
Chocolate covered cherries are one of those old fashioned types of candies that remind me of grandparents. They are like buttermints, Neccos or that mixed bag of cinnamon, peppermint and butterscotch candies. These weren’t the kind of candies you would actually choose yourself if you were set free in a candy store, but they sure hit the spot! Nothing would pass the time at my relatives house like sucking on butterscotch candies and buttermints.
I haven’t eaten chocolate covered cherries in years. Then out of the blue, my mom handed me a box of chocolate covered cherries she grabbed cheaply after Christmas. I vaguely remember liking that oozy, liquer-laden filling in those cherries when I was a kid, which is why I eagerly bit into one from the box my mom gave me. It took 2 seconds before I spit out the entire bite. Part of the problem was the candy was just plain old. I suspect the grocery store brought out that same box of cherries year after year in the hopes that eventually some sucker would give in and buy it. The other reason I spit it out was the taste. These cherries were nothing like the ones I remember. This cherry filling could be used as sanitizer; the alcohol was so strong! I was disappointed for sure, but I was inspired at the same time.
The black bottom cherry cream pie takes what I really love about those candies; the cherries and the chocolate! I used ready make graham cracker crust simply because it was easier. If you would like to try a homemade crust, you can follow the recipe that I used for this coconut banana cream pie or this layered pudding dessert. It is similar to this Creamy Pumpkin Pie too! The black bottom layer is a combination of melted chocolate and cream. This fluffy topping is made with more cream, white chocolate, and chopped maraschino cherries. This is such a simple pie that yields impressive results!
This pie is like bite after bite of chocolate-covered cherries, but better!
- 1 9-inch prepared graham cracker crust
- 1 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoon corn syrup
- 2/3 cup of heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups white chocolate chips
- 1 3/4 cup heavy cream, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- To prepare the chocolate layer, combine the chocolate chips, corn syrup, heavy cream and vanilla in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 30-second intervals until chocolate is melted and smooth. Pour chocolate into the crust and freeze for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the white chocolate chips and 3/4 cup of heavy cream in a microwave safe bowl for 30 seconds. Stir and repeat only until chips begin to soften. Stir.
- Add remaining cup of heavy cream to a mixing bowl and using your whisk attachments to beat cream. Slowly add sugar and continue to whip until thick but not enough for stiff peaks to form. Fold whipped cream into white chocolate. Gently fold in chopped cherries.
- Pour filling over chocolate layer and refrigerate pie for at least an hour or up to 1 day.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 708 Total Fat 50g Saturated Fat 29g Trans Fat 1g Unsaturated Fat 18g Cholesterol 88mg Sodium 162mg Carbohydrates 64g Fiber 2g Sugar 51g Protein 6g