This layered pudding dessert recipe is delightfully simple to create! This lush dessert has a bold peppermint layer, a creamy white chocolate layer, and a fluffy white topping! No one has to know how easy this dessert was, your family and friends will be impressed no matter what!
For years I have heard about this layered pudding dessert known by many as a “lush.” I’ve made versions of layered desserts, like this coconut key lime trifle or this lemon parfait, but neither of them was made with pudding. See, I’ve always had a thing against pudding. I ate a lot of pudding growing up, by the time I started cooking and baking for myself I made a vow to never serve it again. Then last year I made Tiramisu pudding shots and that single dessert made me reconsider my stance toward pudding.
The holidays are clearly my inspiration behind this layered pudding. Peppermint is synonymous with Christmas and this dessert delivers LOTS of peppermint flavor! Peppermint extract, food coloring, and chopped Hershey’s Peppermint Kisses make up the lovely pink layer. White chocolate pudding and whipped cream are carefully layered over one another to create a treat that is visually and tastefully festive!
Layered Pudding Dessert Tips:
- I used traditional Oreo cookies for the crust. Golden Oreos or a graham cracker crust would work just as well. After pressing the crust into my dish, I placed it in the freezer while I prepared the rest of the layers.
- As mentioned above, I used candy cane Hershey Kisses. You can use peppermint bark candies or peppermint baking bits.
- My pudding layer is made with white chocolate pudding. Chocolate pudding would also be delicious!
- I chose to color the cream cheese layer, but you could color the pudding layer instead.
- Keep this dessert refrigerated until it is ready to be served.
There are so many variations to this dessert. The peppermint version is just the beginning! I’m looking forward to my next recipe!
- 1 package Oreo cookies
- 1/2 stick of butter, melted
- 1 8 oz block of cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons peppermint extract, divided
- 3-4 drops of red food coloring.
- 16 oz Cool Whip topping
- 2 3.4 oz boxes of white chocolate pudding
- 2 1/3 cups of milk
- 1 10 oz bag of Hershey Candy Cane Kisses, chopped
- Process Oreos in a food processor until you have fine crumbs. Toss crums with melted butter and spread into a 9 x 13 in pan or baking dish. Place dish in the freezer whie you prepare the other layers.
- In a bowl, beat together the cream cheese and the powdered sugar until creamy. Stir in 1 teaspoon of peppermint extract. Stir in food coloring. Fold in 1 cup of the 1/3 of the whipped topping and 1 cup of the chopped candy. Spread cream cheese layer over the crust. Set aside.
- Beat together the pudding mixes and the milk using a whisk attachement. Continue to whisk until mixture is thickened. Fold in another 1/3 of the whipped topping. Carefully spread pudding over cream cheese layer
- Combine remaining whipped topping and 1/2 teaspoon of peppermint extract. Spread this layer over the pudding. Top with remaining chopped chocolate.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.