This coconut key lime trifle is a cool, creamy no bake dessert!
I don’t know about you, but bbq’s and potlucks make me over eat. Not only is the food plentiful, but it always seems to taste so good. There is something about summer time that makes food taste better. I have to taste every single dish available, I mean it would be rude not to!
I start with appetizers of course. Cocktail meatballs, chips, dip and the like. It’s all down hill from there. Burgers, brats, ribs; yes please! I’ll load my plate with potato salad, grilled corn, pasta salad and fruit. It’s all too irresistible. The problem with all this gluttony is it doesn’t leave much room for dessert (even with elastic waist pants). This key lime trifle changes all of that!
It’s airy, light and perfectly creamy. Each bite just melts right into your mouth. I love the combination of coconut and key lime. It’s tart, tangy, nutty and tropical all at once. For this simple trifle recipe, I used store bought angel food cake that I cut into chunks. Cream cheese, sugar and key lime juice are mixed until very creamy and smooth. I used bottled key lime juice, however fresh is almost always better! Add a little lime zest, fold in your whipped topping and you are on your way to heaven!
Enjoy all your bbq’s and potlucks this summer and take comfort in knowing that with this coconut key lime trifle, there will always be room for dessert!
This coconut key lime trifle is a creamy tropical no-bake dessert that is sure to be a hit anywhere it is served!
10 minPrep Time
10 minTotal Time
- 1 store-bought angel Food cake
- 2 8 oz blocks cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 8 oz tub whipped topping
- 1/4 cup + 3 tablespoons key lime juice
- 1 cup coconut, toasted
- 2 teaspoon key lime zest
- Cut angel food cake into cubes, set aside. In the bowl of a mixer, cream together cream cheese, key lime juice and sugar until creamy and smooth. Stir in 1 teaspoon lemon zest. Fold in whipped cream.
- In a large bowl, arrange 1/3 of the cake cubes on the bottom of the bowl . Drizzle 1 tablespoon of key lime juice over cake. Spread 1/3 of the cream mixture over cake. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of toasted coconut. Repeat process ending with creamed mixture and coconut. Sprinkle remaining lemon zest over the top. Garnish with lime slices. Refrigerate until ready to serve.