This coconut key lime trifle is a cool, creamy no baked dessert! A perfect blend of tangy and sweet.
You’re going to love this easy trifle dessert recipe. Made with coconut and key limes it packs the right amount of flavor and depth into every bite. the angel food cake and whipped topping keep it light and airy while the toasted coconut adds a subtle crunch.
Every bite of this dessert is heavenly and delicious. Enjoy all your BBQs and potlucks this summer and take comfort in knowing that with this coconut key lime trifle, there will always be room for dessert!
A Tropical Trifle Recipe
It’s airy, light, and perfectly creamy. Each bite just melts right into your mouth. I love the combination of coconut and key lime. It’s tart, tangy, nutty, and tropical all at once. For this simple trifle recipe, I used store-bought angel food cake that I cut into chunks. Cream cheese, sugar, and key lime juice are mixed until very creamy and smooth. I used bottled key lime juice, however fresh is almost always better! Add a little lime zest, fold in your whipped topping and you are on your way to heaven!
- Store-bought angel food cake
- Cream cheese
- Granulated sugar
- Whipped topping
- Key lime juice
- Toasted coconut
- Key lime zest
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
How to Make Coconut Key Lime Trifle
- Cube your angel food cake and then set it aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the cream cheese, key lime juice, and sugar until creamy and smooth.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon of key lime zest.
- Fold in the whipped cream.
- In a large bowl, arrange 1/3 of the cake cubes into the bottom of the bowl.
- Drizzle the top with 1 tablespoon of key lime juice.
- Spread 1/3 of the cream mixture over the top.
- Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of the toasted coconut.
- Repeat this process two more times and end with the creamed mixture and coconut on top.
- Sprinkle the remaining key lime zest on top.
- Garnish with fresh lime slices.
- Keep in the fridge until ready to serve.
What is a trifle?
A trifle is a layered dessert made with sponge cake, custard, and whipped cream. In our case, we are using angel food cake in place of the sponge cake and a flavored cream cheese mixture is used instead of custard, giving us a richer texture with tangy flavors that pair wonderfully with the whipped topping and light cake pieces.
When should you eat trifle?
You can eat your trifle with a spoon or fork and for any occasion. It’s often seen as an after-dinner dessert but breakfast is also a wonderful option if you want to make your brunch feel more special. Bring it to BBQs, parties, or any event of the summer as a wonderful dessert everyone won’t stop raving about.
How long is trifle good for?
This trifle can be kept well covered in the fridge for up to a week. I recommend eating it within 3 or 4 days for the best tasting results. I do not recommend freezing this trifle recipe for longer storage as the textures will change when it thaws.
Coconut and lime recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Key Lime Coconut Cake
- Raspberry Glazed Key Lime Cake
- Key Lime Coconut Macaroon Cookies
- Key Lime Pie Parfait
- Coconut Key Lime Bars
- 1 store-bought angelfood cake
- 2 8 oz blocks cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 8 oz tub whipped topping
- 1/4 cup + 3 tablespoons key lime juice
- 1 cup coconut, toasted
- 2 teaspoon key lime zest
- Cut angel food cake into cubes, set aside. In the bowl of a mixer, cream together cream cheese, key lime juice and sugar until creamy and smooth. Stir in 1 teaspoon lime zest. Fold in whipped cream.
- In a large bowl, arrange 1/3 of the cake cubes on the bottom of the bowl.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of key lime juice over cake.
- Spread 1/3 of the cream mixture over cake.
- Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of toasted coconut.
- Repeat process ending with creamed mixture and coconut.
- Sprinkle remaining lime zest over the top.
- Garnish with lime slices. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Amount Per Serving Calories 264Total Fat 20gSaturated Fat 14gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 38mgSodium 161mgCarbohydrates 20gFiber 1gSugar 17gProtein 3g