Tender lemon poppy seed sugar cookies with a simple lemon frosting!
These Lemon Poppy Seed Sugar Cookies feature SPLENDA® Sweeteners as part of a sponsored post for Socialstars #SplendaSweeties #SweetSwaps
In my 40 years I have learned one important lesson; if you wait long enough someone will do your work for you. I have learned that if I ignore the flowers that need to be trimmed in my flower bed, my mom will eventually grow tired of looking at them and will do it for me. If I pretend that the bugs aren’t eating my rose bush, my father in law will spray them. If pretend to be blind to our full vacuum, my husband will empty it. Am I lazy? No, I’m just smart. I’m conserving my energy for the jobs I really love to do like bake cookies.
Why Sugar Cookies with Lemon are the best.
Lemon desserts are a fresh favorite of mine. I love Lemon Poppyseed Pull Apart Bread and Lemon Whoopie Pies. These lemon poppy seed sugar cookies will become a new favorite for sure. In my opinion, baking these soft sugar cookies is a fair trade for all the work listed above. I think these sugar cookies are a pillowy little thank you. These cookies are ultra tender with just a hint of citrus and poppy seed. The luscious lemon frosting is draped over each sugar cookie like is a soft, silk blanket. Each tangy bite melts in your mouth and leaves you with a citrus induced tingly sensation.
The best part about these easy sugar cookies is that they have been lightened with non-fat Greek yogurt and SPLENDA® Sugar Blend! Both are a great way to replace fat and sugar with a lower calorie alternative. I often use SPLENDA® Sweeteners in my cooking. It is versatile enough to be used in baking, cooking, and beverages.
These lemon sugar cookies will make anyone happy, but if I’m going to get more work done around the house, I may have to resort to making lemon cakes.
- 1 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup SPLENDA® Sugar Blend
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 lemons, zested
- juice from one lemon
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
For the frosting
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- the zest of 3 lemons
- the juice of 3 lemons
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter until creamy. Stir in yogurt. Mix in SPLENDA® Sugar Blend and beat until incorporated. Beat in egg, egg whites, vanilla, lemon zest and lemon juice. Continue to beat until completely blended. Stir in poppy seeds.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt and cream of tartar. Carefully add flour mixture to your cookie batter in small batches. Beat until well blended. Place cookie dough in the refrigerator for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Drop cookies by the tablespoon onto lined cookie sheets Bake for 10 minutes. Remove and allow cookie to sit on cookie sheets for 2 minutes before removing to a cooling rack. Let cookies cool completely.
- To prepare the frosting, combine powdered sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice in a bowl. Whisk until smooth,adding more lemon juice if necessary. Dip cooled cookie tops into the frosting. Allow fronting to set completely.
Nutrition InformationYield 40 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 129Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 23mgSodium 119mgCarbohydrates 15gFiber 1gSugar 8gProtein 2g
The Sweet Swaps program is dishing out hundreds of ways to save calories by swapping full sugar for SPLENDA® Sweeteners.