Tender lemon poppy seed sugar cookies with a simple lemon frosting!
You’re going to low these simple sweets.
Why Sugar Cookies with Lemon are the best.
Lemon desserts are a fresh favorite of mine. I love Lemon Poppyseed Pull Apart Bread and Lemon Whoopie Pies. These lemon poppy seed sugar cookies will become a new favorite for sure. In my opinion, baking these soft sugar cookies is a fair trade for all the work listed above. I think these sugar cookies are a pillowy little thank you. These cookies are ultra tender with just a hint of citrus and poppy seed. The luscious lemon frosting is draped over each sugar cookie like is a soft, silk blanket. Each tangy bite melts in your mouth and leaves you with a citrus induced tingly sensation.
The best part about these easy sugar cookies is that they have been lightened with non-fat Greek yogurt and SPLENDA® Sugar Blend! Both are a great way to replace fat and sugar with a lower calorie alternative. I often use SPLENDA® Sweeteners in my cooking. It is versatile enough to be used in baking, cooking, and beverages.
These lemon sugar cookies will make anyone happy, but if I’m going to get more work done around the house, I may have to resort to making lemon cakes.
- Plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- Splenda –can use organic sugar or granulated sugar instead.
- Egg whites
- Vanilla extract
- Lemon zest
- Lemon juice
- Poppy seeds
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Cream of tartar
For the frosting
- Powdered sugar
- Lemon zest
- Lemon juice
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
How to Make Lemon Poppy Seed Sugar Cookies
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter until creamy, and then stir in the yogurt.
- Mix in the Splenda and beat until incorporated.
- Beat in the egg and egg whites, vanilla, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Continue to beat until completely blended.
- Stir in the poppy seeds.
- In a small bowl combine the flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar.
- Carefully add the flour mixture to the cookie batter in small batches, beating well after each until well blended.
- Place the cookie dough into the fridge to chill for one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and drop the cookies by the tablespoon onto lined cookie sheets.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes and then remove. Allow cooling on the baking sheet for 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Prepare the frosting by mixing together the powdered sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice until well mixed in a bowl.
- Whisk in more lemon juice as needed to achieve a good consistency.
- Dip the cooled cookies into the icing and place them back onto the cooling rack.
- Allow the frosting to set completely before eating.
- 1 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup SPLENDA® Sugar Blend
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 lemons, zested
- juice from one lemon
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
For the frosting
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- the zest of 3 lemons
- the juice of 3 lemons
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter until creamy. Stir in yogurt. Mix in SPLENDA® Sugar Blend and beat until incorporated. Beat in egg, egg whites, vanilla, lemon zest and lemon juice. Continue to beat until completely blended. Stir in poppy seeds.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt and cream of tartar. Carefully add flour mixture to your cookie batter in small batches. Beat until well blended. Place cookie dough in the refrigerator for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Drop cookies by the tablespoon onto lined cookie sheets Bake for 10 minutes. Remove and allow cookie to sit on cookie sheets for 2 minutes before removing to a cooling rack. Let cookies cool completely.
- To prepare the frosting, combine powdered sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice in a bowl. Whisk until smooth,adding more lemon juice if necessary. Dip cooled cookie tops into the frosting. Allow fronting to set completely.
Amount Per Serving Calories 129Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 23mgSodium 119mgCarbohydrates 15gFiber 1gSugar 8gProtein 2g