This almond flour cake is light and tender; each bite gives you poppy seeds and a subtle citrusy sweet taste.
An Easy Almond Flour Cake
Whether you need to use almond flour for dietary purposes or not, you will love the ease and the flavor of this orange poppyseed almond flour cake! The texture is light and fluffy with a fresh citrus taste that is delicious all year long.
This cake will not rise like a traditional cake because of the almond flour, but don’t let that deter you, you don’t need the cake to be thick to be delicious!
What Is Almond Flour?
Almond flour is made with finely ground almonds that have been blanched without skins. You can use almond flour for baked goods like cakes, cookies, and quick breads. The most common sweet treat made almond flour is macaroons. Because almond flour is higher in fat, your baked goods will be nice and tender.
How To Make Orange Poppyseed Almond Cake
For this recipe, I start by whisking together egg yolks and sugar until combined then and then I add in orange zest, juice, and vanilla.
In a separate bowl, I beat the egg whites with a little sugar until the grow in volume and form stiff peaks. From here, it’s a matter of layering. I fold an almond flour dry mixture into my egg yolks, followed by my fluffy egg whites. It is important to fold the batter just until incorporated or else your batter may be a little tough.
The batter is poured into an 8-inch baking pan and will take about 30 minutes to bake.
The cake does not need much in the way of toppings. Powdered sugar and fresh fruit are enough, however, a simple glaze made with milk and powdered sugar would also be lovely.
Tips On Baking With Almond Flour
- Are Almond Flour and Regular flour interchangeable? -Sort of. Almond flour cannot be substituted 1:1 for regular flour. If you do this, be sure to adjust the number of rising agents and the liquid called for in the recipe. If you are wanting to substitute almond flour for all-purpose flour, then add up to 1/3 cup almond flour per cup of wheat flour (all-purpose, bread flour etc.) for your recipe that contains yeast. For non-yeast recipes, substitute almond flour for 1/4 (25%) of the flour called for in the recipe.
- Are Almond flour and Almond Meal the same thing? They are very similar, but almond flour tends to be finer while almond meal can contain almond skins and has a courser texter.
- How do I store Almond Flour? Almond flour is best stored in the freezer. Almond flour does have a shelf life and can be rancid when exposed to heat and sunlight.
- Where to buy almond flour? Almond flour can be found in almost any grocery store or warehouse stores like Costco. Almond flour can be found in the baking aisle or in the whole foods section of your grocery store.
- 4 eggs, separated
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoon orange zest
- The juice from one orange
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 ¼ cup almond flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8-inch cake pan with non-stick spray. Line the bottom with parchment paper and spray the paper as well.
In a bowl, mix together the egg yolks and 1/4 cup of sugar until combined. Stir in orange zest and the orange juice. Stir in vanilla.
Place the egg whites in a bowl and beat with a hand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Continue to beat the egg whites, adding the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar a little at a time. Beat until soft peaks form.
In a separate bowl, whisk together both flours, the salt, and baking powder. Slowly beat the flour into the egg yolk mixture, followed by the poppy seeds. Slowly fold the egg whites into the batter. Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Allow the cake to cool for 5 minutes. Place a plate over the cake and invert the cake onto the plate and remove the parchment paper. Serve with powdered sugar.
Amount Per Serving Calories 223Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 93mgSodium 182mgCarbohydrates 23gFiber 3gSugar 19gProtein 7g