This Almond Flour Cake with Strawberry is a wonderfully short cake topped with a raw strawberry jam, all made from scratch, and all super delicious. You’re going to love this healthier cake option for any occasion, but especially in the Spring and early Summer.
Making this almond flour cake is very easy and simple, making it one of my favorite cake recipes for that reason alone. But when you add in texture and flavor – WOW!
Every bite of this delicious cake is a harmonious blend of tangy, sweet, savory, and moist cake crumbs. The homemade strawberry jam on top is always a huge crowd pleaser too because it’s healthy and packed with fresh strawberry taste.
What Is Strawberry Almond Flour Cake?
It’s a super simple almond flour cake made in a tart pan or other springform pan and we get a thin cake that looks great. Add some chia seed strawberry jam on top and we really have a winner. Made with monk fruit, we get a cake that is made without refined sugars but is still perfectly sweet and tasty.
Ingredients you’ll need for this delicious almond flour cake:
For the Jam, You Will Need:
- Chía seeds
- Fresh strawberries
- Liquid sweetener *optional
For the Cake, You Will Need:
- Almond flour
- Granulated monk fruit (granulated sugar can also be used)
- Coconut oil
- Coconut flour
- Baking powder
- Vanilla extract
- Fresh strawberries
- Raw strawberry jam
For the exact measurements needed, please see the recipe card below.
How To Make Strawberry Almond Flour Cake
How to make raw strawberry jam
We’re calling this jam “raw” because it’s a no-cook recipe for strawberry jam, meaning that you make it and let it chill and rest to get to the perfect consistency.
First, start by minging together the chia seeds and water in a small bowl. Let it rest for at least half an hour (30 minutes).
This is when the chia mucilage is released and thickens the water to a good “jam-like” consistency.
Place the chia seed mixture and your fresh strawberries into a blender. Add in the liquid sweetener too if you want to use any.
Pulse together the mixture until smooth.
Your jam is now ready to use.
Keep stored in the fridge until it’s time to put it on your cake.
How to Make Almond Cake
First, start by dividing the eggs so that the egg yolks are in one bowl and the egg whites are in another. Set the egg whites aside.
Beat the egg yolks in a medium sized bowl.
Add in your monk fruit, vanilla extract, coconut oil, salt, and baking powder with a whisk.
Stir until fully combined.
Add in the almond flour and the coconut flour and then stir again until incorporated.
Set the mixture aside.
Now take the bowl of egg whites and mix them with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
This technique will add extra air bubbles and softness to the cake so don’t skip it.
Once the egg whites have been whipped, gently fold them into the cake batter.
For better results, add the egg whites into the mix in portioned additions.
Now place the cake batter into a tart pan with a loose base. Note that any other cake pan with a loose base (like a springform pan) will work with similar results.
Spread the batter around in the pan so that it is in a nice and even layer.
Bake it in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted into the center of the cake and come out clean.
Let the cake cool before removing it from the base.
Assemble the cake by spreading 1/2 cup to 3/4 cups of the raw strawberry jam you made earlier on top.
Now garnish with some fresh sliced strawberries and if desired, sprinkle on some desiccated coconut.
- What to serve with the cake. This is a great cake to eat with fresh fruit, some coconut cream, or even melted chocolate on top.
- Cake storage. Keep it covered in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Strawberry jam storage. Keep it in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days. This jam is the perfect and healthier substitute for store-bought products. You could use any other berry or even a mix of them as a replacement.
- Liquid sweetener options. Some simple and easy sweetener options include honey and agave but you can also use maple syrup for added flavor and sweetness.
Check out these other great cake recipes that are perfect for Spring and Summer!
- Peach Cobbler Cake
- Coconut Cream Cake
- Pineapple Rum Cake
- Strawberry Crumb Cake
- Raspberry Glazed Key Lime Cake
Jam (about 2 cups of jam)
- 2 tbsp chía seeds
- ½ cup of water
- 2 cups fresh strawberries
- Optional: 1 tbsp of liquid sweetener (in my opinion without sweetener is perfect)
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups almond flour
- ⅓ cup granulated monk fruit or granulated sugar
- ½ cup of coconut oil
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup fresh strawberries
- ½-¾ cup raw strawberry jam
1. To make the raw strawberry jam, you’ll need to mix chía seeds and water in a small container. Let it sit for at least half an hour.
2. Once chía mucilage has been released, the paste is ready.
3. Place chía seeds paste with fresh strawberries and the sweetener (optional) in a blender. Pulse until smooth.
4. Now your jam is soft and ready to use. Keep it in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days. This jam is the perfect and healthier substitute for store-bought products. You could use any other berry or even a mix of them as a replacement.
5. To make the cake, beat the eggs yolks in a medium bowl (take the egg whites to another bowl as we’re using them soon). Then add monk fruit, vanilla extract, coconut oil, salt and baking powder. Stir until combined.
6. Add almond and coconut flour and stir again. Set aside.
7. Take the egg whites and mix them with an electric mixer until soft picks. This technique will provide extra air bubbles and softness to our cake.
8. Once ready, gently mix egg whites with the cake batter. Do it in parts for a better result.
9. Place the batter in a tart pan with a loose base. Use any other cake pan with a loose base as the results would be similar.
10. Bake it in a pre-heated oven at 350F for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
11. Let it cool before removing the base.
12. Spread ½ - ¾ cup of strawberry jam on top of the cake. Garnish with sliced fresh strawberries and desiccated coconut.