What is the BEST summertime drink? This Pina Colada recipe of course! But this creamy drink doesn’t have to alcohol to be amazing! Make a big pitcher of this fruity drink and serve it to the whole family!
This summery cocktail drink is a perfect blend of tropical flavors in every cup. Serve it up on hot summer days or drink to relax at night, there’s really no time for this drink and because it’s alcohol-free it’s perfectly safe for the whole family!
This mocktail recipe is easily personalizable so feel free to adjust the ingredients to your own tastebuds!
What Is a Virgin Pina Colada?
This Virgin Pina Colada recipe is fun and flavorful, it is a great way to bring vacation vibes into each day! Fun fact, the name “Pina colada” directly translated to “strained pineapple” in Spanish.
This drink is meant to be a mixed drink made with rum, pineapple juice, and coconut cream but we’re making ours a virgin pina colada by not adding in any rum or alcohol.
- Cream of Coconut – This often comes in a can or a squeeze bottle and can be found where drink mixers are located in your grocery store. Coco Lopez Cream of Coconut is the most common brand. It is a smooth, thick liquid made from fresh coconuts. It is thick and very sweet and not to be confused with coconut cream which is very thick and unsweetened.
- Pineapple Orange Juice– I love the combination of flavors, but you could use only orange juice or just pineapple juice. Although straight pineapple juice is the more traditional option.
- Frozen Pineapple Chunks – These will keep your Pina Colada smooth and creamy.
- Lime Juice – You only need a splash to cut into the sweetness of the drink.
How To Make This Virgin Pina Colada Recipe
You are going to love how simple this recipe is to make!
Combine the cream of coconut, pineapple (orange) juice, frozen pineapples, and lime juice in a blender and process until smooth.
Pour in a pitcher or divide among individual glasses. Garnish each glass with pineapple wedges or citrus slices and a maraschino cherry and serve!
Can You Substitute Coconut Milk For Cream of Coconut?
Yes, you can! The coconut cream can be too sweet for many people’s tastes coconut milk will take the sugar out of the mocktail, however, you do need a little sweetness in this drink.
If you use coconut milk, then some ways you can sweeten this drink is by using:
- Sugar or sugar substitute,
- Simple Syrup
- Vanilla Ice Cream, frozen yogurt, or sorbet
The only thing I would mention is that the cream of coconut not only adds the sweetness but the coconut flavor will be more pronounced with cream of coconut than with coconut milk. Coconut extract can be added if you desire.
Can I Make Pina Coladas in Advance?
Yes, you can blend these drink ingredients in advance and keep them stored in a covered pitcher or container in the fridge for up to a few days. If you wish to add in ice or frozen components like ice cream, I recommend waiting until ready to serve.
Does Virgin Pina Colada Have Alcohol?
No there is absolutely no alcohol of any sort involved in the recipe. If you want to add in some rum, you will need to add it to your own tastes but this drink is made family-friendly without the use of any rum or alcohol.
Do Pina Coladas Have To Be Frozen?
No, this drink does not have to be served frozen it can simply be served as chilled. The drink tastes best when cold, especially on a hot day.
More Drink Recipes
- ¾ cream of coconut (Such as Coco Lopez)
- 1 cup pineapple orange juice
- 1 cup frozen pineapple chunks
- Splash of fresh lime juice
- Combine the cream of coconut, pineapple (orange) juice, frozen pineapples, and lime juice in a blender and process until smooth.
- Pour in a pitcher or divide among individual glasses. Garnish each glass with a pineapple wedge and a maraschino cherry and serve!
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 134Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 4mgSodium 44mgCarbohydrates 22gFiber 2gSugar 18gProtein 1g