This key lime cake is a tangy sour cream pound cake that is drizzled with a sweet, homemade raspberry glaze. Everything about this easy cake screams happiness!
I think that the key lime flavor is similar to pumpkin in that we only seem to really enjoy one season a year. I rarely make anything with pumpkin during the warm months and conversely, you will never find key lime in my kitchen come October through January.
In just the past month, I have already shared a Key Lime Coconut Cake Roll, and a Key Lime Pie Parfait recipe. I really love all things key lime, I think it is time I worked on enjoying it all year long!
Watch How To Make This Recipe:
What Is A Key Lime Cake?
This cake is not the layered cake you make think of when you imagine a key lime cake. I have instead, prepared a sour cream pound cake loaf that is made with key lime zest and key lime juice.
This cake is dense but tender at the same time. The cake doesn’t really need much to dress it up, but I added a sweet and fruity glaze made from fresh raspberries. It is the perfect sweet and tart combination!
How Do You Make This Key Lime Cake?
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with non-stick spray.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and the sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, key lime zest, vanilla, and key lime juice.
In a small bowl, stir together the flour, salt, and baking soda. Add the dry ingredients to wet ingredients until fully blended.
Stir in sour cream. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake cake for 50 minutes or until golden.
The cake is ready when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool completely on a cooling rack.
For the glaze, whisk together room temperature butter, powdered sugar, and heavy cream (adding more cream if necessary). Stir in fresh raspberries. Spread glaze over cooled cake.
Does This Key Lime Cake Need To Be Refrigerated?
In general, I would say it is safe to keep store this cake at room temperature. However, I will add that make sure the cake is stored in an airtight container. Also, I would avoid any heat or humidity as the icing will then tend to soften or run.
You may be wondering, “Can I Freeze This Key Lime Cake?” Yes, you can definitely freeze this cake.
Prepare the cake according to package directions. Allow the cake to cool completely. Wrap the cake in plastic wrap and aluminum foil, making sure the cake is completely covered and freeze the cake for up to 3 months.
Glaze the thawed cake before serving.
Key Lime Cake Recipe Tips
If you cannot find fresh key limes, you can use the zest from a lime and a bottle of key lime juice,
Make sure the cake is completely cool before you glaze the cake, otherwise, the glaze will melt off of the cake,
Add just enough cream to your glaze until you get a spreadable consistency. This glaze will go from spreadable to drippy pretty quickly.
Frozen raspberries (thawed) or raspberry extract and food coloring can be used for the glaze.
More Key Lime Recipes
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2-3 teaspoons key lime zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons key lime juice
- 1 ¾ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoons softened butter
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh raspberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and the sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs until incorporated. Stir in zest, vanilla, and key lime juice.
- In a small bowl, stir together the flour, salt, and baking soda. Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients until fully blended. Stir in sour cream.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake cake for 50 minutes or until golden. The cake is ready when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool completely on a cooling rack.
- For the glaze, whisk together the butter, powdered sugar and heavy cream (adding more cream if necessary).
- Stir in raspberries. Spread glaze over cooled cake.
Amount Per Serving Calories 262Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 61mgSodium 199mgCarbohydrates 36gFiber 1gSugar 22gProtein 3g