Bundt cake that is soft and tender, flavored with zesty key limes and a splash of tequila!
My bloggie BFF, Heather from Sugar Dish Me and I have decided to celebrate Tequila week. No, this isn’t really a national holiday or one of those made-up food holidays. We just decided, “hey we like tequila” and chances are you do too. Each of us has three recipes to share with you this week. I’m kicking off the week with a bang by posting this tequila key lime bundt cake.
I’ve only made one other bundt cake in my life. It was this Guinness Chocolate Bundt Cake (apparently boozy bundts are my thing). I fell in love with that cake. It was easy to prepare for starters, but it was also so intensely rich and flavorful. It was everything I love about cake. Sure, there may not have been as much frosting as a layer cake, but the glaze more than made up for it.
I could get addicted to baking bundt cakes. I think this one is even better than my first. You don’t have to be a tequila connoisseur to appreciate this cake. The tequila flavor is only alluded to in each bite. The key lime flavor is what hits you first. The fresh citrus sort of explodes with each tender fork full. The reason behind the abundance of key lime flavor in this cake is all the key lime zest and juice that gets swirled into the batter.
After the cake comes out of the oven, a key lime simple syrup is brushed over the entire cake.
The warm cake acts like a sponge and sucks up that silky syrup. The syrup does two things: it enhances the flavor and keeps the cake especially moist.
When it comes to the frosting, I have two words: cream cheese. Man this frosting is as good as any frosting you’ll find on a layer cake. It is ultra creamy and smooth and hits you with a big, limey smack in the face. But a good kind of smack in the face. The kind that makes you say “I want more cake”. If you are ready to try a different style of cake, then check out this Raspberry Key Lime Cake!
I’ve been reborn my friends. I’ve seen the power of the bundt cake, and boy am I a believer!
For the cake
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 cups flour
- 1/4 cup tequila
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon grated key limes
- 2 teaspoons key lime juice
For the syrup
- 1/2 cup key lime juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
For the frosting
- 1 8 oz block cream cheese, softened
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon key lime zest
- 3 teaspoons key juice
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 10 inch bundt pan with non stick spray and set aside.
- Combine milk and tequila in a measuring cup, set aside.
- In the bowl of stand mixer beat butter and sugar and light and fluffy. Add salt. Slowly beat in eggs one at a time, taking care to incorporate each egg into the batter before adding the next. Mix in baking powder. Add the flour, alternating with milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat in key lime zest and juice.
- Pour batter into bundt pan and smooth it out with a spatula. Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Top pan with a cooking rack. Holding bottom of the bundt pan with one hand while holding the cooling rack with the other, carefully invert cake to rest on the cooling rack. Using a toothpick or a narrow skewer, gently poke holes over your cake.
- While the cake is baking, prepare the syrup. Heat key lime juice and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir until sugar has dissolved. Cool slightly.
- When cake is ready, brush syrup over cake, using as much syrup as possible. If you have leftover syrup, allow cake to absorb what has been brushed on, then repeat the process.
- Allow cake to cool completely.
- To prepare the frosting, beat cream cheese in a mixing bowl until smooth and creamy. Carefully add powdered sugar one cup at time. Beat in key lime zest and juice until the frosting is spreadable, adding more sugar or juice as necessary.
- Slowly drizzle frosting over cake. Allow frosting to set before serving.
- (I used a ziptop bag for my frosting. Fill bag, snip the corner and quickly drizzle frosting over cake).
Nutrition InformationYield 16 Serving Size 1 slice
Amount Per Serving Calories 457Total Fat 18gSaturated Fat 11gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 92mgSodium 354mgCarbohydrates 69gFiber 1gSugar 49gProtein 5g