Homemade hazelnut butter swirled with chocolate and espresso! Move over peanut butter!
My youngest daughter has a peanut butter and Nutella sandwich every single day. She is very particular too. She wants it open-faced, with a tiny amount of peanut butter spread on first, followed by a generous swirl of Nutella.
Each day I try to offer up different lunch options, but she never accepts. I love peanut butter, but not every day. I want gooey grilled cheese sandwiches, stuffed sub sandwiches or even a giant salad for lunch. But that’s the difference between my adult tastes and the tastes of a six-year-old I suppose.
This hazelnut butter might bridge the gap between my sophisticated adult taste and my children’s simple tastes. It has the hazelnut flavor that my kids love, but it also carries complex flavors that I find irresistible.
I’ve been wanting to try a nut butter for so long. I elected to try a hazelnut butter because, well, hazelnuts are my favorite nut. I cannot believe how simple this nut butter was to make! Classy hazelnuts are toasted and combined with a little brown sugar, vegetable oil, a small dose of melted chocolate and a scant amount of espresso powder. See what I mean? So easy, it’s ridiculous.
This hazelnut butter has ruined peanut butter for me. It’s just way too plain. You know, now that I think about it, maybe I could eat the same food every day, but only if it’s this hazelnut butter!
- 2 1/2 cups toasted hazelnuts (skin removed)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder
- Place hazelnuts in a food processor, process until nuts are crumbled into small pieces. Add salt, espresso powder and brown sugar. Slowly stream in oil. Butter should begin to become smooth. If not, add oil in 1 teaspoon increments. Finally, add melted chocolate and process until combined.
- Pour into a jar, seal and store in a refrigerator.
Nutrition InformationYield 16 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 212Total Fat 19gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 16gCholesterol 0mgSodium 134mgCarbohydrates 11gFiber 2gSugar 8gProtein 3g