Flatbread is the base for this easy and flavorful tequila lime chicken pizza!
When I think of the word “tequila” I immediately think of Pee Wee’s Big Adventure. I still chuckle every time I see the scene where he is dancing in the biker bar to the song “Tequila”. I’m so easily entertained, it’s embarrassing. It’s also embarrassing to admit that I’ve seen that movie way too many times. Yet, I couldn’t wait until the kids were old enough so I could watch it again with them.
My excitement waned quite quickly a few minutes into the movie. The kids began to sigh and shift in their seats from boredom. At one point, one of them asked me if this movie was actually funny to me when I was a kid. I hid the disappointment from my kids as I turned off the movie. After that kind of comment, there was no point in continuing.
That scenario has been replayed often in our house. My husband and I build up a movie from our childhood only to have our own children knock them down. Their comments are innocent enough and sometimes it only take a facial expression for us to see the huge entertainment generation gap.
What I thought was funny as a child doesn’t even register to my kids. And movies I thought were scary when I was little don’t even make my 6-year-old blink. Movies have changed so much. Kids today expect more. They expect bigger jokes and more of them. They expect realistic effects and spectacular scenes. They expect non stop action and cinematic excellence. They expect Dolby Digital Sound and HD pictures. My first movie was at a drive in with a speaker box standing next to us. There was no 3D, HD or digital. We were just happy to be watching a movie.
Pee Wee’s musical number will always hold a special place in my heart. So will tequila. Monday I brought you a tequila infused bundt cake. Today I bring you something a little savory. Tequila lime chicken is a beautiful thing. The chicken is soaked in a super piquant marinade which consists of lime juice, cumin and tequila. Once cooked, the chicken is placed on flatbread along with Monterey Jack cheese and bright, fresh, yellow cherry tomatoes. These pizzas don’t take long to bake in the oven (the grill would work too). Before serving, top each pizza with avocados, feta cheese and cilantro. The balance of flavors between the cool tomatoes, creamy avocados and salty feta cheese is nothing short of amazing.
I’m not alone in this week of tequila recipes! Be sure to visit Sugar Dish Me! She has tequila cupcakes!
- 4 flat breads
- 1/2 pound chicken tenders, (you will need about 4)
- 1 large lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons tequila
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup yellow cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup Monterey Jack Cheese
- 1 avocado, diced
- 4 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- jalapeno slices optional
- Combine lime juice, tequila, garlic, cumin and salt in a bowl. Add chicken, turning to coat. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes or overnight.
- Heat a grill pan. Spray with non stick spray and add chicken. Cook chicken for 4-5 minute per side or until cooked through. Remove and cut chicken into bite sized pieces.
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray each flatbread with non stick spray on both sides. Arrange flat bread directly on oven racks. Bake for 4 minutes or just until each bread is slightly crispy.
- Remove from oven and top each with 1/2 teaspoon olive oil and 1/2 clove garlic. Arrange chicken, tomatoes and cheese over flatbreads. Return to oven and bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese has melted. Top each pizza with feta cheese, avocado, cilantro and jalapeno.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 647 Total Fat 29g Saturated Fat 10g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 17g Cholesterol 62mg Sodium 1317mg Carbohydrates 65g Fiber 5g Sugar 3g Protein 29g