These strawberry cupcakes are tender and soft, with a sweet touch of strawberry! If you love strawberries, then these beauties are a must-try!
Just like this Strawberry Tiramisu, these cupcakes are sure to satisfy!
I’m pretty disappointed that I missed strawberry picking season. It is one of my favorite things to do when summer comes around. Unfortunately, strawberry picking season ended before I even knew it started, which didn’t help matters.
It wasn’t that long ago that I made these blueberry cupcakes, they were so good and I wanted to try them with fresh strawberries.
What Ingredients Are In Strawberry Cupcakes?
The ingredient list is pretty simple. You have your dry ingredients which consist of cake flour, and baking powder which gets mixed into creamed butter and sugar along with buttermilk and vanilla.
Egg whites play a key role in these ingredients as do fresh strawberries of course!
How To Make Strawberry Cupcakes
To start cream together butter and sugar until pale and creamy.
Fold in dry ingredients in conjunction with buttermilk and vanilla.
Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Carefully fold the egg whites into the batter until completely incorporated. These egg whites are the key to light and fluffy cupcakes. Egg whites are mostly made of air which will lift the cupcake batter as it bakes.
The last thing that needs to be done is to fold in freshly chopped strawberries!
The cupcakes will take about 18 minutes to bake. You will know the cupcakes are ready when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before topping with frosting.
What Frosting Goes With Strawberry Cupcakes
For this strawberry cupcake recipe, a plain vanilla buttercream would be elegant and lovely, but you could also make a cream cheese frosting. I think this lemon frosting would taste fantastic with the strawberries but you could even use a chocolate frosting for a play on chocolate-covered strawberries.
I chose to make strawberry buttercream frosting.
To make the strawberry frosting beat together butter and shortening until creamy. Slowly add confectioners sugar one cup at a time until the frosting is smooth and creamy.
If your frosting is too stiff, add milk a tablespoon at a time until your frosting is the desired consistency. Conversely, if your frosting is too thin, add more powdered sugar 1/4 cup at a time.
I added crushed, freeze-dried strawberries to the frosting. Freeze-dried fruit does not add extra moisture, which means your frosting won’t be runny. The freeze-dried fruit adds an intense strawberry flavor and the perfect punch of color.
Strawberry Cupcakes Recipe Tips
- The cupcake itself s the best vanilla cupcake; it is so tender and light. The key to great texture is separating the eggs (save the yolks for another recipe), and beating the egg whites until stiff, then ever so gently fold the egg whites into the batter. Folding really takes a delicate touch.
- I like to use fresh strawberries for this recipe, they are plumper and sweeter.
- Frozen strawberries can be used. Be sure to thoroughly drain your strawberries to avoid adding extra moisture.
- To get a pinker hue to either the frosting or cupcake, food coloring gel can be added.
- When adding the dried fruit to the frosting, make sure they are crumbled completely. A food processor can be helpful with this. If there are larger chunks of fruit left in the frosting, they will get chewy. They can also hinder proper piping.
These are the perfect cupcakes for baby showers and birthday parties, but they are all so perfect for an ordinary Tuesday.
More strawberry recipes:
Connect with Lemons for Lulu!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #lemonsforlulu! I would love to see your talents!
I have a group dedicated to food and you! Check out my group page on join in on the fun! This is where you can ask questions, share recipes, connect with others and see more of Lemons for Lulu. If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups of sugar
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 5 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- For the buttercream:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup shortening
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup freeze-dried strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350. Line 3 cupcakes pans with liners and set aside.
- In a measuring cup, combine milk and vanilla.
- In a stand mixer, beat butter at medium speed until creamy. Add the sugar until fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour and baking powder. Carefully add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs whites at medium speed until stiff peaks form. Carefully fold eggs white into the cupcake batter. Fold the strawberries into the cupcake batter.
- Fill each cupcake liner about 2/3 full. Bake for 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting, beat the butter and shortening on medium speed until creamed. Slowly beat in powdered sugar one cup at a time. Mix in salt and vanilla, and enough milk to get a pipable consistency.
- Pulse the freeze-dried strawberries in a food processor until crumbly. Fold strawberries into the frosting.
- Pipe frosting onto the cooled cupcakes. Garnish with dried or fresh strawberry slices.
- Store cupcakes in an airtight container.
- VonShef Snap and Stack Cupcake Storage Carrier 2 Tier - Store up to 24 Cupcakes or 2 Large Cakes
- Selizo 600 Pcs Cupcake Liners Cupcake Wrappers Cupcake Paper Baking Cups for Cake Balls, Muffins, Cupcakes and Candies, Assorted Bright Colors
- Russian Piping Tips Set 34pcs Cake Decorating Kit Baking Supplies Set large for Cupcake Cookies Birthday Party, 15 Icing Tips 2 Leaf Piping Tips 3 Couplers 10 Pastry Baking Bags，E.Book User Guide
- Natierra Nature's All Foods Organic Freeze-Dried and Crunchy, Strawberries Flavor, 1.2 Oz
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 36 Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 308 Total Fat 16g Saturated Fat 9g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 6g Cholesterol 31mg Sodium 149mg Carbohydrates 40g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 0g Sugar 30g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 2g