Strawberry desserts are perfect this time of year! This strawberry tiramisu takes everything I love about Tiramisu and turns into in an easy, fruity dessert that everyone will love!
This strawberry tiramisu angel food cake was originally posted 6 years ago. When I first shared this recipe, I created a homemade angel food cake that I stuffed with ladyfingers and strawberries then frosted the cake with a mascarpone frosting. It was good…it was a great spin on Tiramisu but it was also a little impractical and time-consuming.
As I was thinking about this recipe, I thought there had to be a way to keep true to the taste all while making the process simpler. I think I have done just that!
How To Make Strawberry Tiramisu
The beauty of this recipe is it starts with store-bought angel food cake. Because the cakes at my grocery store were on the small size, I used two. You will want to cube both cakes. Place half of your cubes in a baking dish. Then mix coffee and Kahlua together and drizzle half of that mixture over the cake. Simple right?
For my Tiramisu filling, I cream together cream cheese, mascarpone cheese, both brown and granulated sugar, and Kahlua until creamy and smooth. Half of this filling will be spread over the cake followed by sliced strawberries. The whole process is repeated with the remaining cake, coffee, cheese mixture, and strawberries. Then all you have to do is cover and refrigerate until set! I like to sprinkle a bit of amaretti cookies and cocoa powder just before serving.
WHERE IS THE STRAWBERRY TIRAMISU RECIPE?
If you’d rather skip cooking tips, suggestions, handy substitutions, related recipe ideas – and get straight to the Strawberry Tiramisu Recipe– simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
Strawberry Tiramisu Substitutions
Pound cake can easily be substituted for the angel food cake in this recipe. You want something that won’t easily crumble and that can absorb the coffee mixture without getting too soft.
Feel free to omit the alcohol in this recipe. You can certainly use extract in place of the Kahlua. AND if Kahlua is not your favorite liqueur to use brandy or rum; both would make wonderful substitutions!
Mascarpone is an Italian cheese that can usually be found in the specialty cheese section of your grocery store. It often comes in around tub. It is very similar to cream cheese in texture. If you cannot find mascarpone, cream cheese may be used instead. Make sure the mascarpone and the cream cheese are at room temperature.
How Long Does Tiramisu Keep?
Because you are using cake instead of the traditional ladyfingers, this Tiramisu recipe will keep covered and refrigerated for 2-3 days. By the third day, however, the strawberries will soften and the cake will get soggy. This recipe does not freeze well.
- 2 containers ready made store-bought angel food cakes
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee
- 6 tablespoons of Kahlua, divided
- 1 8 oz block cream cheese, softened
- 1 8 oz tub mascarpone cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 lb container strawberries
- Amaretti or ladyfingers, optional
- Cocoa pwoder for dusting
- Cut each cake into chunks.
- In a small bowl, combine the coffee with 3 tablespoons of Kahlua
- In the bowl of a mixer, beat together the cream cheese and the mascarpone cheese until smooth and creamy. Add in the brown sugar and the granulated sugar until well blended. Beat in Kahlua.
- To assemble, place half of the cake in the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch baking dish Drizzle or brush with half of the coffee mixture.
- Spread half of the cream cheese mixture and top with half of the strawberries sliced.
- Repeat process with the remaining ingredients. Sprinkle with crunch style ladyfingers or cookies if desired. Cover and refrigerate Tiramisu for at least 30 minutes.
- Dust Tiramisu with coco powder before serving if desired.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 252Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 51mgSodium 161mgCarbohydrates 21gFiber 1gSugar 17gProtein 3g