This easy tiramisu recipe takes 20 minutes to make and it is just as good (or dare I say better) than the traditional Tiramisu recipe. This creamy and impressive sweet treat has all the flavors of the classic Italian dessert!
If I go out to eat and Tiramisu is on the dessert menu, I will order it regardless of what else is on the menu. It is one of my favorite desserts and I am rarely disappointed!
What Is Tiramisu?
Loosely translated from Italian, Tiramisu means “pick me up”. It is traditionally made with espresso dipped ladyfingers that are layered with a custard filling made with mascarpone cheese. The espresso mixture is often a combination of coffee and some sort of liqueur to give it a more intense flavor.
What Do I Need To Make This Tiramisu Recipe?
- Frozen pound cakes, thawed
- Cream cheese
- Powdered sugar
- Cool Whip
- Chocolate chips
- Kahlua coffee liqueur
- Brewed coffee
- Cocoa powder
- 8 x 8 baking dish
How To Make This Easy Tiramisu Recipe
STEP ONE – Slice each thawed pound cake into 10 slices.
STEP TWO -In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together softened cream cheese, mascarpone until smooth and creamy. Slowly beat in powdered sugar until combined. Add vanilla.
STEP THREE – Gently fold Cool Whip into the mascarpone mixture until completely blended. Add Kahlua liqueur.
STEP FOUR – In a shallow bowl, combine the brewed coffee and coffee liqueur.
STEP SIX– Spread melted chocolate over the cake before topping with the remaining cream mixture. Sprinkle cocoa powder over the cake and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Can Tiramisu Be Made In Advance?
Tiramisu can absolutely be made in advance! Prepare the tiramisu recipe as directed, cover, and place in the refrigerator. This recipe can be made 1 to 2 days ahead and It will keep for up to 4 days in total. Leftovers should immediately be placed in the fridge.
Can Tiramisu Be Frozen?
Yes, it can! If you plan on making this dessert in advance and freezing until needed, then follow the recipe as directed, however, omit the cocoa powder (it will blend too much as the dessert thaws).
Thoroughly cover your Tiramisu in plastic wrap and foil. Your Tiramisu can be frozen for up to two months, Thaw your Tiramisu in the fridge and dust with cocoa powder before serving.
Can This Recipe Be Made Without Alcohol?
Yes, it certainly can! You can simply add vanilla extract to the coffee mixture before you brush it over your pound cake and omit the Kahlua from the cream mixture. You can also use chocolate, coffee, rum, or brandy extract instead.
When it comes to alcohol, feel free to play around. You can use brandy, Chambord, Tia Maria, Irish cream, spiced rum, or any other flavored liqueur!
Tiramisu Recipe Tips
Mascarpone is a soft Italian cheese that can usually be found in the specialty cheese case in your local grocery store. Cream cheese can be used in it’s place.
You can also soak your cake slices in the coffee mixture.
You can omit the melted chocolate and sprinkle cocoa powder over the middle cream layer instead.
This easy Tiramisu recipe is a cross between the classic custard dessert and a Tiramisu cake, but it takes half the time to prepare and is equally as delicious! This is going to be my go-to Tiramisu recipe!
- 2 frozen pound cakes, thawed
- 1 8 oz block cream cheese, softened
- 8 oz mascarpone, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 oz tub Cool Whip
- ½ cup chocolate chips, melted
- 1 tablespoon Kahlua
- ⅔ cup brewed coffee
- 2 tablespoons Kahlua
- Cocoa powder for dusting
- Slice each thawed pound cake into 10 slices.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together softened cream cheese, mascarpone until smooth and creamy. Slowly beat in powdered sugar until combined. Add vanilla.
- Gently fold Cool Whip into the mascarpone mixture until completely blended. Add Kahlua liqueur.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the brewed coffee and coffee liqueur.
- Place half of the sliced pound cake in the baking dish. Brush coffee over the cake slices (you can also dip the slices in the coffee). Top cake with half of the cream mixture.
- Place remaining cake slices over the cream mixture and again, brush with coffee.
- Spread melted chocolate over the cake before topping with the remaining cream mixture. Sprinkle cocoa powder over the cake and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Amount Per Serving Calories 627Total Fat 36gSaturated Fat 17gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 16gCholesterol 102mgSodium 351mgCarbohydrates 73gFiber 1gSugar 60gProtein 5g