All the flavors of Tiramisu in little sandwich cookies! These cookies take a famous dessert and package them into portable, bite-sized treats that will cure your dessert cravings!
What Is Tiramisu Dessert?
Tiramisu is a layered Italian dessert that, when translated means, “little pick me up”. Why does it have that meaning, you ask? Well, I’ll tell you! Tiramisu is made by taking ladyfingers which have been soaked in a boozy coffee mixture and layering them with a creamy (also boozy) mascarpone layer. Cocoa powder is dusted in between and top along with a generous amount of chocolate shavings. Between the coffee, the liqueur, the cocoa powder, and the chocolate, it is impossible to avoid getting a little “energy” boost from this dessert!
Tiramisu is my husband’s FAVORITE dessert, it’s the one thing I turn to over and over again because it’s really a no-fail recipe, it always turns out and my husband is always happy. But, I have to admit, sometimes I get tired of making traditional Tiramisu, so I change up the flavors and make Lemon Raspberry Tiramisu, Maple Tiramisu, or even Tiramisu Pudding Shots. And now I have these sweet little sandwich cookies to add to my Tiramisu roundup!
WHERE IS SANDWICH COOKIE RECIPE?
If you’d rather skip cooking tips, suggestions, handy substitutions, related recipe ideas – and get straight to the Tiramisu Sandwich Cookie Recipe– simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
What Are Sandwich Cookies?
Sandwich cookies are little cookie rounds (any kind) that are held together by filling. In this recipe, I made a batch of fudgy brownie cookies that have been enhanced with a little espresso powder. I find that a little espresso powder in chocolate desserts intensifies the chocolate flavor, it tastes deeper and richer.
In keeping with the traditional Tiramisu, the filling for this recipe is made with mascarpone, cream cheese, powdered sugar, and a little Kahlua liqueur. Mascarpone is a soft, Italian cheese that is mild in flavor and texture. It is like cream cheese, but a little softer.
How To Make Sandwich Cookies
This recipe starts with the cookie! As mentioned above, the cookies are soft, chewy,brownie-like cookies that are very rich and sweet. They are made with chopped chocolate and very little flour (which is where the “fudgy” comes in). A few things to note about the cookies:
The cookies WILL flatten while baking, don’t be alarmed. To prevent the cookies from spreading too much refrigerate the cookies on the baking sheet for at least 15 minutes. That little bit of cold air will help the cookies retain their shape.
Be sure the cookies rest on the baking sheet for a few minutes before removing them to a cooling rack. The cookies will be very tender and will fall apart easily.
Sandwich Cookie Filling
The mascarpone is the dominant ingredient. Both the mascarpone and the cream cheese will need to come to room temperature before you begin mixing. If you cannot find mascarpone, you may use all cream cheese for the filling.
Add a little powder sugar into the cheese mixture a cup at a time until the mixture is spreadable. Kahlua is added for flavor, but it can be omitted or you can substitute rum or brandy. Coffee or coffee extract would be fine as well.
How To Store Cookie Sandwiches
Since these cookies have a dairy-based filling, I recommend storing them in an airtight container in the fridge. They should last 3-4 days. I would not recommend freezing these cookies, the mascarpone will not freeze well.
- 5 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon espresso powder
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese, softened
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons Kahlua Liqueur
- In a small saucepan, combine chocolate and butter. Heat over low heat until both have melted. Stir until smooth and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine flour. Baking powder, salt and espresso powder. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together eggs, sugar and vanilla until mixture begins to thicken. Stir in cooled chocolate mixture followed by flour mixture. Beat until combined. Fold in chocolate chips. Let batter stand for 10 minutes in order to thicken up.
- Preheat oven to 375. Drop dough by tablespoon full about onto a lined baking sheet, keeping each cookie about 2 inches apart. Bake for 8 minutes or until edges are set and cookies are slightly cracked. Let cool for 1 minute before removing to a cooling rack.
- For the filling:
- Beat together mascarpone and cream cheese. Add in powdered sugar, vanilla and liqueur. Spread a healthy tablespoon of filling on the flat side of one cookie, top with another cookie. Makes 12 sandwich cookies. Store assembled cookies in an airtight container.
Cookies will spread while baking. To minimize spread, place cookies on baking sheet and place baking sheet in the fridge for 10-15 minutes.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 339Total Fat 22gSaturated Fat 13gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 67mgSodium 182mgCarbohydrates 33gFiber 2gSugar 27gProtein 4g