A strawberry lemon cake makes everything better! The cake has a hint of lemons and the filling is all strawberry and it’s all sweet and delicious!
I could eat this strawberry lemonade cake all summer long. It is high on my list of favorite cakes. It is so good that it briefly got me thinking about opening up a bakery.
I’m not talking about a fancy bakery that does fondant layered cakes but a bakery that specializes in cake rolls only. I figured if there can be a bakery that sells bundt cakes only, then why not a cake roll cakery?
It seemed like a perfectly grand idea until I tasted this strawberry lemonade cake. That is when the thought struck me if I made cakes all day, every day, there is a good chance I would grow tired of cakes and that is just plain sad.
I promptly disregarded my idea, no matter how brilliant and settled upon making cakes for my family and friends just for fun.
What Is A Lemon Cake Roll
This recipe is taken from my Cherry Lime Cake Roll and this Chantilly Cake Roll. It is a vanilla-based sponge cake with a little lemon flavor coming through, compliments of some tart lemonade.
The cake is rolled around a sweet and tangy strawberry filling. The combination screams summertime and promotes a whole lot of tasty fun!
What Is A Cake Roll Pan?
To make this lemon cake roll, you need a proper baking pan. I use a jelly roll pan which is a rimmed sheet pan that is sized 12 x 17 inches. Cake rolls are not thick cake, they are light and airy, but overall, the cake is thin.
How To Make A Lemon Cake Roll?
To prepare your lemon cake batter, whisk egg yolks until thick and pale in color. Gradually beat in sugar, lemonade, and fresh lemon zest.
In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites on high speed until semi-soft peaks begin to form. Gradually add the remaining granulated sugar and continue to whisk until you get stiff peaks.
Fold dry ingredients into the eg white mixture along with a little melted butter. Pour batter into a lined jelly roll pan and bake for about 12 minutes or until the cake springs back when touched.
When you remove the cake from the oven, immediately sprinkle powdered sugar over the cake. Arrange a a baking towel on your workspace, and turn the cake onto the clean towel. Carefully roll the cake in the towel and let the cake cool completely.
For The Lemon Cake Filling:
Combine fresh strawberries, lemonade, sugar, and cornstarch in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook the fruit until has thickened, remove from heat and cool completely.
In a large bowl, beat together butter until light and fluffy. Beat in powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until incorporated. Fold in the berry mixture.
Carefully unroll the cake and spread the filling onto the cake. Carefully roll the cake up and place it seam side down onto a serving platter.
How To Make A Lemon Glaze
In a bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, lemon zest, and a little lemonade (or lemon juice) until combined. If you want a thicker glaze, add more powdered sugar.
Pour glaze over the cake, decorate with fresh berries and lemon slices if desired!
Tips On Making This Lemon Cake Roll
- Be sure to beat your egg white until thick and glossy. You’ll know when they are ready by lifting your whisk out of the bowl. If your egg whites rise up straight and do not fold over, they are ready.
- The batter will be thick. It will look too thin to spread. Do your best to cover the jelly roll pan. The cake will be thin when it comes out of the oven.
- It is best to roll your cake when it is still warm. If the cake begins to cool it will crack when it is rolled.
- Do not overbake your cake, an overbaked cake can crack once rolled.
- The filling is tangy and sweet. You may have to add more lemonade or cream than what is listed in the ingredients. You will have to judge how creamy you like your filling.
- I placed the cake in the refrigerator after drizzling on the icing. I wanted to be sure it was completely set before serving.
- Lemon juice can be used in place of lemonade. I used a lemonade concentrate (thawed) for this recipe.
- If you are not going to serve the cake right away, wait until before serving to garnish with the fresh fruit.
Can You Freeze Lemon Cake Roll
Yes! Fill the cake with frosting as directed. Wrap the cake in plastic wrap and then in foil. Freeze the cake for up to 1 month.
Allow the cake to thaw in the fridge. Glaze as directed before serving.
More Cake Roll Recipes:
Chocolate Peppermint Ice Cream Roll
Strawberry Lemon Cake Roll
A strawberry lemon cake makes everything better! The cake has a hint of pink lemonade and the filling is all strawberry and it's all sweet!
- 5 eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoon lemonade concentrate (or lemon juice)
- 1 large lemon, zested
- 2/3 cup cake flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoon melted butter
- powdered sugar
For the filling
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemonade
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
For the glaze
- 1 cup butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Strawberry mixture
- 1 -2 tablespoons of heavy cream
- pinch of salt
- For the glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 1/4 cup concentrate
- Preheat oven to 375. Spray a jelly roll pan with nonstick spray. Top pan with parchment paper and spray paper with nonstick spray. Set pan aside.
- In a bowl, whisk egg yolks until thick and golden in color. Gradually add in 1/3 cup of sugar, zest and lemonade concentrate.
- In the bowl of a mixer, beat egg whites with the whisk attachment until semi-soft peaks begin to form. Gradually whisk in 1/3 cup of the remaining sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks finally form. Remove and carefully fold in yolk mixture.
- Combine dry ingredients. Fold in dry ingredients, followed by melted butter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake cake for 12 minutes or until cake gently springs back when touched. After removing cake from the oven, and immediately sprinkle with powdered sugar. Carefully turn the cake out onto a clean towel that has been dusted with powdered sugar. Remove parchment paper. Roll cake with towel, starting with short end. Let cake cool completely.
- While cake is cooling prepare the filling.
- Combine strawberries, lemonade, sugar, and cornstarch in a saucepan that has been set over medium heat. Cook mixture until sugar dissolves and mixture has thickened, stirring often. Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool completely.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer cream butter until light and fluffy. Slowly beat in powdered sugar one cup at a time. Add strawberry mixture, heavy cream, and salt. Mix just until buttercream is smooth. You may need to add in more liquid if buttercream is not smooth and creamy enough to spread.
- Slowly unroll cake. Spread the buttercream over the entire cake. Carefully reroll cake and place on a serving plate, seam side down. Trim ends if desired.
- In a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, zest, and concentrate. Slowly pour glaze onto cake. Let set completely before serving.
Amount Per Serving Calories 626Total Fat 26gSaturated Fat 15gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 154mgSodium 405mgCarbohydrates 98gFiber 1gSugar 87gProtein 4g
Crystal Faulkner says
I absolutely just love this. Thank you for for sharing this recipe with us!
This cake roll is gorgeous!
This roll is perfect for summer! The flavors are delicious!
All I’ve ever tried is pumpkin roll, but this looks seriously amazing! I’m going to have to give it a try. It looks like a perfect summer dessert!
Ashley @ Wishes & Dishes says
The filling…the glaze…everything about this tasted wonderful!
Lindsay Cotter says
This dessert was a big hit with everyone! Thanks for the recipe!