The Lemon Poppy Seed Bread is soft and tender and covered in a sweet vanilla drizzle. This bread makes a great addition to any breakfast or brunch and it is just as good as a midday snack!
What Is Lemon Poppy Seed Bread?
This lemon poppy seed bread is a yeast-based bread that is infused with lemons and has a sprinkling of poppy seeds! This bread has a fresh taste and soft, tender texture that is absolutely delightful! And just like this Caramel Apple Pull-Apart Bread Recipe, this lemon poppy seed bread is made with yeast and shaped like an accordion before baking. It is a fun spin on the popular loaf bread!
WHERE IS THE LEMON POPPY SEED BREAD RECIPE?
If you’d rather skip cooking tips, suggestions, handy substitutions, related recipe ideas – and get straight to the Lemon Poppy Seed Bread Recipe– simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
How To Make Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
This recipe starts with a packet of active dry yeast, warm water, and sugar. Allow this to bloom (the mixture will foam and combine) while the rest of the ingredients (except the flour) are combined in a mixing bowl. When all the ingredients are creamy and smooth, the yeast is mixed in. The flour is added last. You will want to add the flour in slowly to make sure it all gets incorporated. You will want the batter to be smooth before you turn it onto a floured surface. At this point, I like to knead the dough for about 5 minutes before I place it in a greased and covered bowl. Allow the dough to rest in a draft-free space for 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours. Before moving on, you want the dough to double in size.
When the dough has doubled, punch it down and place it once again on a floured surface. You can either divide the dough for two small loaves or roll it out to one larger square and make one loaf as I have done here.
The dough will be rolled out to a 20 x 12 rectangle. Cover the dough with softened butter and sprinkle with lemon sugar then cut the dough into 5 strips. Stack the strips then cut the stack into 6 equal parts. Arrange the individual stacks accordion style in a greased loaf pan. A simple lemon syrup will be drizzled over the loaf before it is covered and left to rise for another hour.
Once the dough has risen, bake the loaf for 30-35 minutes for small loaves for 40-45 minutes for a larger loaf. The bread is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Allow the bread to rest completely before adding the glaze.
Tips and Tricks For Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
- Make sure you are using fresh yeast. Yeast does have an expiration date and will not bloom correctly if it has been sitting for too long.
- To create a draft-free space for my dough to rise, I like to heat a microwave for 2-3 minutes. Wait 30 seconds and then place your covered bowl or loaf pan in the microwave until the dough is ready.
- If you are making one loaf pan, watch the dough as it rises in the loaf pan, if it rises too much, the bake time will be affected and your dough will spill over.
- If the edges of your bread begin to brown too quickly place a loose piece of foil over your bread as it continues to bake.
- I used Meyer lemons for this recipe for their sweetness, but any lemon (or citrus for that matter) will work.
Some more of my favorite recipes with poppy seeds are: Orange Poppy Seed Almond Flour Cake, Blueberry Muffins With Poppy Seeds, Lemon Poppy Seed Baked Donuts, Orange Bundt cake, Sugar Cookies with Lemon and Poppy Seeds and Lemon Poppy Seed Cake!!
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 1/4 oz envelope active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened and divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 1/2 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 Meyer lemons, zested
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 egg white
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 5 Meyer lemons juiced or 2/3 cup
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a measuring cup and let stand 5 minutes.
- Beat 1/2 cup butter at medium speed in a stand mixer. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar and salt. Beat until light and fluffy-about 3 minutes. Beat in eggs, milk and lemon juice. Stir in yeast mixture.
- Gradually add bread flour and poppy seeds until blended.
- Sprinkle a flat surface with bread flour. Turn out dough and knead until smooth (approx. 5 minutes). Coat a large bowl with cooking spray, coat dough completely. Cover and place in a warm place free from drafts for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until doubled in size.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 cup of sugar and lemon zest.
- Punch down dough and turn out onto flat surface. Divide dough in half. Roll out 1 half of dough into a 20 x 12 inch rectangle. Spread dough with 1/2 cup softened butter. Cut dough into 5 strips about 12 x 4 inches each. Sprinkle each strip with citrus sugar mixture.. Stack each strip, one on top of each other. Cut into sixths. Lightly grease 2 9x5 bread pans. Place stacks cut side up into prepared pan. Repeat procedure with second half of dough.
- Whisk together powdered sugar, melted butter, honey and egg white. Pour over loaves. Loosely cover each pan and let dough rise once again for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Bake for 350 for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Add aluminum foil to the last 10 minutes if your loaf begins to brown too quickly. Remove from oven and let sand 10 minutes before removing from pan. Let cool on a wire rack.
- Whisk together all the ingredients for the drizzle. Pour over bread.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 615 Total Fat 22g Saturated Fat 13g Trans Fat 1g Unsaturated Fat 7g Cholesterol 84mg Sodium 362mg Carbohydrates 97g Fiber 4g Sugar 54g Protein 10g