Fudgy chocolate thumbprints are filled with a swirl of peppermint chocolate kisses! The holidays just got sweeter!
Chocolate Thumbprints Are A Must!
I’m hoping these chocolate thumbprints, these will help me relax and enjoy the holidays. Christmas brings out the worst in me. It brings out my obsessive nature. No matter when I actually start my shopping, as soon as the first present has been purchased, I find I cannot relax until I have everything (including stocking stuffers) hidden away to be wrapped later. I’ve never been one of those people who could buy a gift here or there or casually do a little online shopping. No, it’s truly all or nothing with me. Once I start, it’s a race to the finish.
I purchased my first gift, the day after Thanksgiving. A week later I was able to check everything off my list. I’m not bragging here. It’s a sickness I tell you. I can actually feel my blood pressure rising when I know I have gifts left to buy. When it comes to my own kids, it’s even worse. Not only do I have to buy the same number of gifts for all three, but it’s my goal each year to spend the same dollar amount as well. I actually have spreadsheets to help me keep track. It’s ok, you can say it. I’m a N.E.R.D. But there’s something so gratifying about being able to make everything come out even. The frightening thing is, I see the obsessiveness in my children!
So, now that I can no longer obsess over my shopping, I’ve moved on to obsessing over baking. Each year, I make dozens of cookies and candies to give as gifts and I make several dozens for us as well. Well, here it is, December 3rd, and I’m feeling like I haven’t baked enough. I have ingredients, I have my to-do list, but my cookie tins are empty. It’s totally stressing me out and making me anxious! Will I get it all done??? AAAHHH!!! I’m biting my nails as I type!! Thankfully, I did manage to make these festive chocolate thumbprints, these chocolate peppermint cookies as well as this Peppermint Hot Chocolate Bark. I feel confident these will give me enough energy to complete my baking list!
I Love Chocolate Thumbprints
We always had thumbprints on our cookie tray growing up. My mom would roll them in nuts and fill them with jelly. I can’t say I ever cared for those. But thumbprints are nevertheless nostalgic for me. I made my cookies with chocolate instead, just the way I like ’em! I used peppermint Hershey kisses to fill them. It really bums me out when my kisses fall out of my cookies, that’s why I melted mine down a bit. I think the white chocolate Kisses look so pretty with these chocolate thumbprints, don’t you? And you know what? They taste as good as they look!
More Peppermint Cookies:
Peppermint Swirl Chocolate Thumbprints
Chocolate thumbprint cookies rolled in sugar, baked, and adorned with a peppermint Hershey Kiss!
- 2 cups flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 bag 14 oz. Peppermint Hershey Kisses
- Preheat oven to 350. In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder and salt, set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together butter and 1 cup of sugar on medium high until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add egg and vanilla. Slowly mix in flour mixture and mix until combined.
- Place remaining 1/2 cup sugar in a small bowl. Roll dough into 1 in balls and roll in sugar. Place cookie on a lined cookie sheet, about 1 inch apart. Bake for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and using a rounded teaspoon, lightly make indentation into each cookie. Return to oven for 4 minutes. Top each cookie with a Hershey Kiss and return to oven for 1 minute or until chocolate is slightly melted. Remove and swirl melted chocolate with a spoon to smooth. Let cookies stand on baking sheet for a minute to set before moving to a cooling rack.