Sweet little chocolate mini cupcakes with a touch of mocha.
Each tiny cake has a generous dollop of homemade peppermint buttercream for a fun and festive mini treat!
You know the story where the shoemaker has little elves make his shoes for him while he sleeps? Well, I sort of wish I had those elves.
Each year for the holidays, I set out to make gifts for my husband to deliver to his customers. While I certainly enjoy baking, it’s a bit daunting knowing that I have to make 1200 mini cupcakes. See, this is where the 24 pounds of butter currently stored in my freezer comes in handy!!
Mini Cupcakes Everywhere!
Last weekend, I finished 400. Only a mere 800 to go! I’m not a neat baker, there was powdered sugar EVERYWHERE!! I smelled like a cupcake and I had buttercream caked in my hair and all over my clothes. But it was worth it. Happy customers make a happy husband!
This mini cupcake is what will be delivered this year.
I love these coffee-infused devils food cupcakes. they are very moist and flavorful! The mocha flavor is not overwhelming and is a great compliment to the very minty frosting. I used quite a bit of peppermint extract in the buttercream! These peppermint mocha mini cupcakes are very festive cupcakes! I like making mini cupcakes. I find people enjoy bite-sized treats they can nibble on as opposed to a full-size cupcake. Less commitment, less guilt! Peppermint mocha mini cupcakes would make an excellent addition to your holiday cookie tray!
If you are looking for more peppermint treats for the holidays (or anytime of year) try these peppermint swirl chocolate thumbprint cookies or the fudgy chocolate peppermint cookies. If you want more mocha try this whipped mocha tart or these Mexican mocha crinkle cookies.
- 1 18.25lb box Devils food cake
- 1 5.9 oz box instant chocolate pudding
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup oil
- 4 eggs slightly beaten
- 1 t vanilla
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee
- 1 t instant espresso granules
- For the buttercream
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup shortening
- 8 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 t vanilla
- 3 t mint extract
- 1/2 cup water (or milk)
- red gel food coloring
- For the cupcakes, preheat oven to 350. LIne mini muffin tins with paper liners, set aside. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, pudding mix, oil, eggs, water, vanilla. Mix until blended. Slowly pour in coffee and instant coffee. Using a small cookie scoop, fill each cup about 3/4 full. Bake in oven for 15 minutes. Let stand one minute before removing to a cooling rack.
- For buttercream:
- Cream butter and shortening until creamy. Slowly add in powdered sugar one cup at a time until blended. Add salt and extracts. Add water in intervals. I add water as frosting gets stiff. Continue to mix until frosting is piping consistency. Add gel food coloring until you get the desired shade of red.
Nutrition InformationYield 36 Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 1180 Total Fat 60g Saturated Fat 14g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 43g Cholesterol 215mg Sodium 682mg Carbohydrates 156g Fiber 1g Sugar 121g Protein 8g