I love this time of year. The summer is a clean slate, but we have our favorite activities and our “must do” list. We go to the pool at least 3 days/nights a week. We always find time for the butterfly show at the conservatory. Trips to the zoo, the museum and the aquarium (great for especially hot days). We’ll go see a MLB game or two. The hot air balloon glow and fireworks are a must for my birthday! A trip to the beach is new this year and highly anticipated. Cook outs with friends and family, lazy summer evenings catching lightening bugs and eating S’mores around the fire pit. There will be trips to the driving range, backyard kick ball games, and time spent just swinging on the swings. We’ll visit our favorite parks and get prizes at the library for our summer reading. Perhaps we’ll make to an amusement park or water park this year. And I hope to treat the kids to a movie at the drive-in theater this summer! Everyone should have that experience! Whatever the summer brings, it will be fun, and it will be about family. We will be making memories and starting traditions I hope our kids will share with their own someday.
For now, I will only focus only on Memorial Day weekend. I’m thinking I’ll be grilling chicken with this smokey sweet barbecue sauce. The sweet cherries hit you first, but then gradually the heat from the chipotle peppers tickles the back of your throat. The flavors compliment each other perfectly! Here’s to summer!
Grilled Chicken with Cherry Chipotle BBQ Sauce
Grilled chicken covered in a smokey sweet bbq sauce
- Cherry Chipotle BBQ sauce
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 1/2 cups tart pie cherries, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/2 tsp Chipotle Powder
- zest of 1 orange, or t Tbs
- 4 chicken breasts
- Mix all ingredients for sauce in a medium sauce pan. Simmer over medium low heat 20 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken.
- To grill chicken, season chicken with salt and pepper. Grill on medium heat about 8 minutes per side or until juices run clear. Baste with bbq sauce in last two minutes of grill, turning over as you go.
- Serve with additional sauce on the side.
- Store leftover bbq sauce in the refrigerator.
This recipe linked to Skip to My Lou and Hoosier Homemade, Tip Junkie, 4 Little, Fergusons, and Inside BruCrew Life.