BBQ sauce with a surprise!
Not only is it sweetened with fresh tart cherries, but this bbq sauce gets a little kick with Kahlúa liqueur!
We love chicken wings and chicken drummettes are no different. We love grilling them up to perfection and coating them in BBQ sauce or serving a dipping sauce on the side. These simple grilled chicken drummettes are seasoned plainly with salt and pepper and then served up with a wonderful boozy BBQ sauce that just makes the picture feel more complete.
Tart ripe cherries and coffee flavored liqueur come together for the perfect smoky/sweet bbq sauce that is just perfect for dipping these crispy grilled drumettes. This is the perfect summer meal because it’s easy, grilled, and uses fresh summer fruits! You can be sure that this Kahlúa infused cherry bbq sauce will be ever-present along with ice cold beverages and frosty treats.
What are drummettes?
Chicken drummettes are a small piece of bone covered in meat and they look very similar to a chicken drumstick, hence the name. The drummettes of a chicken actually come from part of the wing and they are often sold together in stores with the more oval-shaped wings (the ones you tend to picture when you think about chicken wings).
- Chicken drumettes
For the sauce, you will need:
- Olive oil
- Garlic cloves
- Tart cherries
- Brown sugar
- Kahlúa Liqueur
- Cider vinegar
- Worcestershire sauce
- Liquid smoke
- Hot sauce
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
How to Make Cherry Kahlúa BBQ Sauce with Chicken Drumettes
- Spray the grill with some nonstick cooking spray and preheat it to high heat.
- Season your chicken drumettes with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken onto the preheated grill and cover. Grill on high for 3 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium (350degrees F) and continue to cook for 18 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, prepare the BBQ sauce.
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat on the stove and add in the oil.
- Add in the garlic and then cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Stir in the cherries.
- Mix in the brown sugar, Kahlua, vinegar, and the other remaining ingredients. stir to combine.
- Reduce the heat and continue to cook the sauce until it has thickened. This will roughly take about 20 minutes.
- Serve the sauce as a dip for the chicken and enjoy!
What can I use instead of Kahlua?
If you don’t wish to use this coffee liqueur you can instead use some cooled coffee or espresso. It shall allow you that great taste but without the alcohol content. Perfect for keeping it more kid-friendly or for accommodating those who wish to not have alcohol.
How long are BBQ wings good for?
These wings can be made and kept stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat again before eating. I recommend reheating them in the oven or in the air fryer to maintain the crispy skin because the microwave tends to make the skin of these wings soft and chewy.
How do I know when my chicken drummettes are finished cooking?
Your wings will be finished cooking when the meat registers 160-165 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer. There should be no pink liquid running out when cooked and the meat should be mostly white as well.
Check out these other great chicken wing recipes for more fantastic and delicious ideas or check out the 50 Best Hot Wings Recipe Ideas for Any Season
- Dry Rub Chicken Wings
- Lemon Pepper Dry Rub Chicken Wings
- Cajun Dry Rub Chicken Wings
- Grilled Chicken Wings Recipe with Spicy Comeback Sauce
- Thai Spice Dry Rub Chicken Wings
- Sticky Stout Baked Chicken Wings Recipe
- Crispy Baked Chicken Wings with Carolina Mustard Sauce
- 1 lb chicken drumettes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- For the sauce
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup chopped tart cherries
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Kahlúa Liqueur
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Dash hot sauce
- Spray grill with cooking spray and preheat over high heat.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Place chicken on grill, cover and grill on high for 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and continue to cook for 18 minutes or until chicken reaches 160 degrees.
- Meanwhile prepare bbq sauce. In a small saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Ad garlic and cook two minutes. Add cherries stir. Mix in brown sugar, Kahlúa, vinegar and remaining ingredients. Stir. Reduce heat and continue to cook until has thickened, roughly 20 minutes.
- Serve sauce as a dip for chicken
Amount Per Serving Calories 385Total Fat 20gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 62mgSodium 788mgCarbohydrates 32gFiber 1gSugar 22gProtein 14g