Easy baked macaroni cheese little hands will love!
These macaroni cups are simple appetizers or perfectly portioned meals for kids.
These baked macaroni and cheese cups are made from scratch with a homemade cheese sauce that has a hidden secret inside (veggies!) The added nutrition is well hidden beneath the cheese and every bite comes together flawlessly for a comforting taste of your favorite dish. Everyone will enjoy these individual mac and cheese cups because they’re so simple but so comforting and tasty.
Healthy mac n cheese cups
These easy baked macaroni and cheese cups come packed full of calcium from three types of cheese plus an added boost of protein from low-fat Greek yogurt. The nutritional benefits from the hidden cauliflower are just the icing on the cake! You’re going to love feeding these mac and cheese cups to the kids and they’re going to love eating them!
- Elbow macaroni
For the cheese sauce, you will need:
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Grated Parmesan cheese
For the topping, you will need:
- Panko breadcrumbs
- Parmesan cheese
For the exact amounts, please see the recipe card below.
How to Make Easy Baked Macaroni and Cheese Cups
- Wash and cut your cauliflower head into floret-sized pieces.
- Place them into a saucepan with two cups of milk or just enough milk to cover the cauliflower.
- Bring the pot to a boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until fork-tender.
- While the cauliflower is cooking, prepare the pasta according to the package instructions. Drain the milk.
- When the cauliflower has finished cooking, drain the liquid and place the cauliflower into a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Return the cauliflower to the saucepan and stir in the yogurt, milk, and cheeses. Whisk together until smooth.
- Combine the pasta and cheese mixture until completely blended.
- Spray the inside of two muffin tins with nonstick cooking spray and then scoop your macaroni into each cup.
- In a small bowl, combine the panko bread crumbs and parmesan cheese.
- Sprinkle it over the top of each muffin.
- Bake in the oven at 400 degrees F for 30 minutes or until golden in color.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
How long are baked mac and cheese cups good for?
After being cooked, your leftovers will be good for up to 3-5 days in an airtight container in the fridge. You could also freeze them in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Just thaw and reheat before serving.
Can I make mac and cheese cups in advance?
Yes, you can prepare these cups all the way up to the baking part, and instead of placing the pan into the oven to bake the mac and cheese, place a cover of foil or plastic wrap on top and put it into the fridge for up to 2 days before baking as directed.
What to serve with individual macaroni and cheese cups
These little cheesy pasta cups would be great served alongside other simple finger foods like fresh-cut veggies, french fries, or even chicken wings. Think of basic and simple appetizers and you’re pretty much set!
Looking for more delicious mac and cheese recipes? Check out these great suggestions!
- Cajun Shrimp Mac and Cheese
- Beer Cheese and Macaroni Soup
- Homemade Mac and Cheese Recipe
- Bacon and Crab Mac and Cheese
- Spanakopita Mac and Cheese
- Lobster Mac and Cheese
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2 cups milk
- 16 oz elbow macaroni
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- Cut cauliflower into florets. Place in a saucepan with two cups of milk or until cauliflower is covered. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile prepare pasta according to package directions, drain.
- When cauliflower has cooked, drain liquid and place cauliflower in a food processor and blend until smooth. Return cauliflower to saucepan. Stir in yogurt, milk and cheeses and whisk until smooth. Combine pasta and cheese mixture until completely blended.
- Spray two muffin tins with non-stick spray. Scoop macaroni into each cup.
- In a small bowl combine panko and Parmesan. Sprinkle mixture over each muffin. Bake in a 400 degree preheated oven for 30 minutes or until golden.
Amount Per Serving Calories 393Total Fat 20gSaturated Fat 11gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 61mgSodium 518mgCarbohydrates 30gFiber 3gSugar 3gProtein 22g