Chicken wings get a facelift! This Grilled chicken wings recipe has a serious smokey bbq flavor!
Don’t forget the spicy comeback sauce!
Grilling chicken wings before a big game is a great way to have the best appetizers at your next tailgate party. That said these wings are great as-is and need no fancy occasion or excuse to serve them up. If you’re in the mood for wings then this grilled chicken wings recipe really can’t disappoint! Serve them up and share with friends and family and watch how fast they disappear along with the spicy sauce. Both the wings and sauce are easy to make so don’t be surprised if you try making them for every get-together this season.
I love the deep smokey, char-grilled flavor that the wings absorb from the heat of the grill. They are crispy without being fried. Golden, plump and delicious! But what really makes this grilled chicken wings recipe stand out is the fiery comeback sauce! It’s called comeback sauce for a reason my friends. You cannot stop yourself from dipping into that sauce over and over again! Well, I couldn’t stop myself from dipping into that sauce.
- Chicken wing pieces
- Black pepper
- Olive oil
Spicy Comeback Sauce
- Sambal Oelek red chili paste
- Lemon juice
- Worcestershire sauce
- Ground mustard
- Onion powder
- Garlic clove
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
How to Make Grilled Chicken Wings Recipe with Spicy Comeback Sauce
- In a large bowl, drizzle the chicken with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Spray a grill grate with nonstick cooking spray.
- Heat your grill over medium heat (350 degrees F).
- Grill your wings for 20-25 minutes or until crispy. Be sure to turn the wings over about halfway through the cooking process.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare the sauce.
- In a bowl, combine all of the sauce ingredients until well mixed.
- Cover and place into the fridge until ready to use.
I found my Sambal Oelek red chili paste in the Thai section of my local grocery store. This is usually the international aisle where you find everything from around the world. If you can’t find this you can replace it with regular hot sauce or another chili sauce option.
If you don’t want to serve these wings with the comeback sauce, it’s perfectly fine to swap them out for your favorite dipping sauce instead. since these wings are so basic and smile in seasoning they’ll go great with any sauces or even no sauces at all.
What is comeback sauce?
The term “comeback sauce” is mostly heard in the south around Mississippi. It’s a sauce used for dipping fried foods into and its main components are mayo and chili sauce. The sauce was invented in Mississippi and continues to be a fan favorite. Once you try it it’s not hard to see why it’s such a popular dipping sauce. The creamy dip and nice spice work together wonderfully.
How long are grilled chicken wings good for?
How do you know when chicken wings are done on the grill?
More of my favorite chicken wings recipes: Crispy Baked Chicken Wings with Carolina Mustard Sauce, Sticky Stout Baked Chicken Wings, and Dry Rub Chicken Wings!
- 4 lbs chicken wing pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
Spicy Comeback Sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 Sambal Oelek red chili paste (found in the Thai Section)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, drizzle chicken with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and paprika. Spray grill grate with non stick spray. Heat your grill over medium heat. Grill wrings for 20-25 minutes or until crispy. Be sure to turn chicken halfway through cook time.
- While chicken cooks, prepare sauce. In a bowl, combine all sauce ingredients. Stir until completely mixed. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Amount Per Serving Calories 785Total Fat 60gSaturated Fat 15gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 43gCholesterol 331mgSodium 960mgCarbohydrates 4gFiber 0gSugar 2gProtein 55g