Layered desserts can be amazing, especially when they are as easy as this no bake eclair cake!
Graham crackers, caramel flavored pudding, and chocolate frosting make this dessert loved by all who try it!
For years and years and years I refused to eat pudding. In fact, I would hardly even look at a box of pudding, that’s how much of a hater I was. The worst part was I turned my kids into haters too! Anytime they found out they were served something made with pudding, they’d turn up their noses and turn away. In essence, I created food snobs, shame on me.
A few years ago I added pudding to the batter of these Cherry Coke Cupcakes and these pistachio pudding cookies. After tasting each of those, I conceded that maybe pudding wasn’t as evil as I thought, I mean, at least it’s good for baked goods. Even the kids agreed (they ate a lot of those cookies). So I added pudding to more and more desserts. Each dessert seemed better than the last.
Now I have a line up of pudding filled desserts that have since stolen my heart. I realized that it wasn’t so much that I hated pudding for pudding’s sake, it was that I hated plain pudding. There’s a huge difference.
What Is An Eclair Cake?
An Eclair Cake is a no-bake dessert that features layers of graham crackers, vanilla pudding, and chocolate frosting.
This dessert is supposed to mimic an eclair donut, but of course, it is easier and serves a whole heap of people!
This version adds a little salted caramel to make it especially delicious!
What Do I Need To Make This Caramel Eclair Cake?
- Vanilla instant pudding
- Whipped topping
- Caramel ice cream topping
- Sea salt
- Graham cracker squares
- Chocolate frosting
See How to Make Salted Caramel Eclair Cake
How Do I Make This Eclaire Cake?
STEP ONE – Combine pudding and the milk in a bowl. Beat with a whisk until pudding thickens. Fold in whipped topping. Slowly stir in caramel and salt.
STEP TWO – Arrange half of the graham crackers on the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch square pan. Top crackers with half of the pudding mixture. Repeat the layering one more time. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.
STEP THREE – Once the cake has set, top cake with chocolate frosting. Store cake in the fridge until ready to serve.
How Long Does Eclaire Cake Last?
If you have leftover eclair cake, cover the pan completely and store the dessert in the refrigerator. The cake should be good for 3-5 days. After too long the graham crackers will become too soft.
Can I Freeze My Eclaire Cake?
Yes, you can! Cover your cake completely with a layer of plastic wrap and then with a layer of foil. Freeze the cake for up to 2 months.
Allow the cake to thaw completely before serving.
Eclair Cake Recipe Tips
- This is a favorite dessert because it is super easy and has infinite possibilities!
- Before we talk about variations, here are a few things to consider. Make sure that you use instant pudding for this recipe and that as you are preparing the pudding, you use COLD MILK. This will ensure that the pudding sets up properly and quickly.
- Once the cake is assembled, make sure you allow it to refrigerate. I say at least an hour, but the truth is the longer it has to sit the better!
- If you are looking for other ways to change the basic eclair cake, here are a few suggestions:
- Try using chocolate graham crackers instead of the traditional. You can also use chocolate wafers, vanilla wafers, and crackers for your “cake layer”.
- Chocolate pudding, white chocolate pudding, banana pudding, or lemon pudding are all great options!
- Try stirring peanut butter, chopped fruit, fruit preserves, pie filling, lemon curd, or hazelnut spread into your pudding!
- Feel free to prepare your own whipping cream instead of using Cool Whip.
- Ganache would make a great topping for the eclair cake instead of the canned frosting. To prepare ganache: place 1 cup of chopped chocolate or chocolate chips in a bowl. Microwave ½ cup heavy whipping cream until bubbles form around the edge. Pour cream over the chocolate and allow it to sit for a few minutes. Whisk until chocolate is melted. The mixture will thicken as it sits.
- This recipe can easily be halved to fit a 8 x 8 inch pan.
- 2 3.5 oz boxes vanilla instant pudding
- 3 cups of milk
- 8 oz whipped topping
- 1/2 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 16 oz box graham cracker squares
- 1 16 oz container chocolate frosting
- Combine pudding and milk in a bowl. Beat with a whisk until pudding thickens. Fold in whipped topping. Slowly stir in caramel and salt.
- Arrange half of the graham crackers on the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch square pan. Top crackers with half of the pudding mixture. Place the remaining crackers over the pudding. Place the remaining pudding over crackers and place the cake in the refrigerator.
- Once the cake has set, top cake with chocolate frosting. Store cake in the fridge until ready to serve.
Nutrition InformationYield 16 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 363Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 4mgSodium 370mgCarbohydrates 54gFiber 1gSugar 34gProtein 4g