This Chocolate Whoopie Pie Recipe might be the best thing since sliced bread! Two tender, cake-like cookies surround a decadent cherry filling. You are going to fall in love with these whoopie pies!
What Are Chocolate Whoopie Pies?
Whoopie pies or chocolate gobs are two soft, cake-like cookies sandwiched together with a sweet (often vanilla) filling. It is said that children would often yell “whoopie” when they found these little cakes in their lunches and that is how they got their name. Whoopie pies can take on almost any flavor.
WHERE IS THE CHOCOLATE WHOOPIE RECIPE?
If you’d rather skip cooking tips, suggestions, handy substitutions, related recipe ideas – and get straight to the Chocolate Whoopie Pie Recipe– simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
How To Make This Whoopie Pie Recipe
This recipe starts with the little cakes. I sift together, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt and set that aside.
In a mixer, cream together butter and sugar until combined, and eggs and vanilla. The flour mixture is added to the batter along with milk until the mixture is thick and creamy.
Dollop or pipe the dough on lined baking sheets, you really can make these as small or as large as you want, noting that bake time may vary slightly. The cakes will take about 10 minutes to bake but they will need 5 additional minutes to rest on the baking sheets.
The filling is made by combining butter and powdered sugar and beating them until creamy.
Marshmallow fluff, vanilla, maraschino cherries, and cherry juice (if you like the filling, then check out these cherry sugar cookies!) are mixed in until combined.
Spread or pipe the filling on the bottom of one cake, place a second cake on top.
Whoopie Pie Recipe Tips
I like to use a medium-sized baking cookie scoop to divide my batter onto my baking sheet.
You will know the cakes are done when they spring back when touched.
Add as much or as little chopped cherries and juice to your filling, if you add too much juice and your filling is thin, mix in more powdered sugar one tablespoon at a time.
You can use a cookie scoop or an offset spatula to spread the filling onto the bottom of your cakes.
I was able to get about 18 whoopie pies, this will vary depending on the size of your cakes.
Whoopie pies are best when eaten the same day. Store whoopie pies in the fridge in an airtight container.
To Freeze Whoopie Pies:
Wrap each individual whoopie pie in plastic wrap and then place wrapped pies in an airtight container. Alternatively., place the cakes (no filling) in an even layer in an airtight container, with parchment paper separating each layer. Prepare the filling later when needed.
Freeze the pies for up to 6 months.
If you freeze the pies individually, you can thaw only what you need.
Love Chocolate Cherry Treats? Try:
- 1 2/3 cup flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 tablespoons shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup butter softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 7oz container of marshmallow fluff
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped maraschino cherries
- For the cakes:
- Preheat oven to 375. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixer cream butter and shortening until smooth. Add sugar and continue to mix, scraping down sides as necessary. Add egg and vanilla and mix another 2 minutes or until smooth and creamy.
- Add half of the flour and half of the milk and beat gently just until mixed. Add second half of flour and milk and beat well until creamed.
- Scoop batter by tablespoons onto prepared baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes or until cakes spring back when touched. Remove and let stand on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a cooling rack. When cakes are cooled, using a small cookie scoop, top the flat end of one cake with filling, top with another cake and sandwich together.
- For the filling:
- Beat butter until very creamy. Slowly add in powdered sugar and continue beating until combined. Add vanilla and fluff. Mix in cherry juice adding more if desired. Carefully mix in chopped cherries.
Amount Per Serving Calories 365Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 47mgSodium 298mgCarbohydrates 52gFiber 1gSugar 37gProtein 3g