This cherry delight is just that…a DELIGHT! This dessert features a creamy filling studded with chocolate chips and a sweet, cherry pie topping! This dessert is dreamy and delicious!
One of my favorite treats growing up was McDonald’s fried pies. I didn’t get them very often. Actually I didn’t even get McDonald’s very often. Fast food was NOT a frequent occurrence back then.
While the itty bitty sundaes were often my first choice when I was allowed to get dessert, there were days when cherry pies called to me.
Those pies were always insanely hot, but the crispy exterior and the tart filling were too good, I always had to dig in as soon as I got my pie. I think I can still practically taste those cherry pies!
I don’t frequent McDonalds, so I don’t really know if they still serve fried pies. I probably couldn’t do a fried pie these days. Baked Lemon Hand Pies tend to be more my speed. But at least I have my memories.
I’ve discovered this cherry delight dessert. It’s not fried, it’s not even pie. But it has the flavors of those little pies and that makes this dessert extra special to me.
What Is Cherry Delight
A Cherry Delight is a no-bake layered dessert that begins with a simple graham cracker crust. The crust isn’t baked; it’s rather loose but that’s is ok.
The filling is sweet and creamy! It is a cream cheese-based filling studded with chocolate chips. And the topping is canned cherry pie filling.
Each layer complements one another in both flavor and texture.
How Do You Make Cherry Delight?
For the crust, you combine graham cracker crumbs, granulated sugar, and melted butter until combined. Press the crumbs into a 9 x 9-inch square pan and place the pan in the freezer to set while you prepare the filling.
To make the filling cream together cream cheese and confectioners sugar until smooth. Mix in almond extract and vanilla extract. Fold in Cool Whip until blended. Add chocolate chips.
Spread the filling over the crust. Chill the filling for several hours or overnight.
Before serving, cover the cream cheese mixture with cherry pie filling.
Tips For Cherry Delight
- I used graham cracker crumbs that came in a container (found in the bakery section of my grocery store). You can make your own crumbs if you prefer. You can also use chocolate graham cracker crumbs or Oreo crumbs as well. You will even find some recipes that use Pecan Sandies for the crust.
- The chocolate chips are optional as are both extracts.
- Dream Whip packets can be used in place of the Cool Whip and of course, you can make your own whipped cream with heavy cream.
- While the name would change, any flavor of pie filling can be used for this dessert!
- Add pineapple tidbits to the cream cheese mixture for a more tropical flair!
Can I Freeze Cherry Delight?
If you find that you need to make this dessert in advance, it is ok to prepare the recipe as directed (omitting the pie topping) and freezing the dessert until needed.
If you plan on freezing the dessert, make sure you cover it completely with plastic wrap and foil.
When needed, allow the dessert to thaw in the fridge. Then cover the dessert with your pie filling before serving.
More Cherry Desserts
Chocolate Whoopie Pie With Cherry Pie Filling
Chocolate Chip Cherry Delight
This cherry delight is just that...a DELIGHT! This dessert features a creamy filling studded with chocolate chips and a sweet, cherry pie topping! This dessert is dreamy and delicious!
- 1 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 8 oz softened cream cheese
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup of chocolate chips
- 8 oz Cool Whip
- 1 can cherry pie filling
- For the crust, combine the graham cracker crumbs, granulated sugar, and melted butter in a bowl and stir until combined.
- Press the crumbs into a 9 x 9-inch square pan and place the pan in the freezer to set while you prepare the filling.
- To make the filling cream together cream cheese and confectioners sugar until smooth.
- Mix in almond extract and vanilla extract.
- Fold in Cool Whip until blended.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spread the filling over the crust.
- Chill the filling for several hours or overnight.
- Before serving, cover the cream cheese mixture with cherry pie filling.
Leave a Reply