Thin and chewy brown sugar cookies! Each cookie has a generous amount of cinnamon taste and loads of cinnamon chips!
Brown sugar cookies are underrated and not made often enough. Sure we add brown sugar to all sorts of cookies that we love like chocolate chip cookies, but what about serving up plain, old brown sugar cookies?
What Are Brown Sugar Cookies?
These cookies are soft, chewy cookies that are made with all brown sugar instead of a mixture of brown sugar and granulated sugar.
These cookies also have cinnamon chips which do a great job enhancing the brown sugar.
What Brown Sugar To Use For Cookies?
Brown sugar is white sugar that has been flavored with molasses; sugar with less molasses is known as light brown sugar while dark brown sugar is granulated sugar with more molasses.
Light brown sugar is what is used most often in cookies like these, cakes, and recipes like Blueberry Cupcakes with Brown Sugar Frosting, Brown Sugar Apple Bundt Cake and this Brown Sugar Strawberry Ice Cream.
Dark brown sugar (sometimes referred to as old fashioned brown sugar, to certain savory foods like baked beans or BBQ sauce or dessert where a deep molasses flavor is essential as in gingerbread or spice cakes.
Both sugars will add moisture giving your cookies a chewy, soft texture!
What Is Needed To Make Brown Sugar Cookies
Butter – I use unsalted butter in my baking and I always start with softened butter.
Brown Sugar – I use light brown sugar for this recipe.
Eggs – You only need one egg.
Salt – tables salt is fine.
Cinnamon Chips – You can substitute almost anything for the cinnamon chips. Salted caramel, chocolate, butterscotch, white chips, and dark chops are all good choices. Or use chopped candies like Snickers. You can also cut the amount of cinnamon chips in half and use chopped nuts as well!
Silicone Baking Mat or Parchment Paper
How To Make Brown Sugar Cookies
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a bowl of a stand mixer, combine butter and sugar and beat until creamy. Add the egg and mix well.
- Place the four, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a separate bowl. Carefully add flour mixture to butter mixture-scraping bowl as necessary. Continue to mix until well blended. Stir in cinnamon chips.
- Drop dough by tablespoons onto cookie sheets.
- Bake just until edges are set, about 8-10 minutes. Let cookies cool for 1 minute on baking sheets before removing to a cooling wrack.
Does Brown Sugar Make These Cookies Chewy?
Yes! Because brown sugar contains more moisture than granulated sugar, it will help make your cookies soft and chewy.
Granulated sugar will liquefy during baking just like brown sugar but because it has less moisture, your cookies will be crisper,
To Change Up These Brown Sugar Cookies add chopped nuts, dried fruits like cranberries, chopped chocolate or eve frost these cookies with a cinnamon frosting!
These would be great cookies for sandwich cookies too! What the reason or occasion these brown sugar cookies are a great change from the norm!
More Cookie Recipes:
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 10 oz bag Cinnamon Chips
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a bowl of a mixer, combine butter and sugar and beat until creamy. Add the egg and mix well. Place the four, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a separate bowl. Carefully add flour mixture to butter mixture-scraping bowl as necessary. Continue to mix until well blended. Stir in cinnamon chips.
- Drop dough by tablespoons onto cookie sheets. Bake just until edges are set, about 8-10 minutes. Let cookies cool for 1 minute on baking sheets before removing to a cooling rack.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 48 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 108Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 14mgSodium 108mgCarbohydrates 14gFiber 0gSugar 9gProtein 1g