These are a different kind of crinkle cookie recipe! They are soft and tender; just like their chocolate cousins but display a lighter hue and are filled with caramel flavor!
Crinkle cookies have always been special to me.
They are the first cookies I recall making with my kids. Our very first Christmas card photo shows our kids in their Christmas pj’s rolling the cookie dough around in the powdered sugar. The kids have been baking up crinkle cookies for Santa (and themselves) ever since.
Just because crinkle cookies have significance doesn’t mean we can’t change up the flavors! Don’t tell the kids, but I was getting a little tired of the same old chocolate cookies.
Change is good, right? This caramel crinkle cookie recipe gives that traditional recipe some serious competition!
About Caramel Crinkle Cookies
These cookies are just as easy as their chocolate counterparts, and they are still perfect for little helping hands, but the flavor is so much more impressive!
I used lots of brown sugar to start off the dough. The brown sugar is what creates, that deep, rich flavor (check out these Brown Sugar Cookies or these Chocolate Chip Brown Sugar Cookies, f you love brown sugar).
I have seen both products at Wal-Mart, and I have purchased sea salt flavored chips from Kroger. If you cannot find either; butterscotch flavoring and chips would work; the taste would, of course, be slightly altered.
Tips on the Crinkle Cookies Recipe
Be sure to allow your dough to chill for at least an hour, this will help make rolling your dough much easier.
I rolled my dough into tablespoon sized balls.
Thoroughly coat your dough in the powdered sugar; the more sugar you have on the dough, the more dramatic the cracks will appear on your baked cookie
One taste of these caramel flavored crinkle cookies, and I think you’ll agree; change IS good!
- 1 1/2 cups Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup sofened butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon caramel extract
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 teaspoon Bobs Red Mill baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup caramel chips
- 1/2- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- In the bowl of a stand mixer combine brown sugar and butter; beat until creamy. Mix in the vanilla and caramel extracts. Add the eggs, beating well after each addition.
- In a bowl combine backing soda, salt and flour. Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and beat until blended. Stir in caramel chips.
- Cover the batter and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350. Place powdered sugar in a bowl. Roll cookie dough batter into balls and roll in the powdered sugar taking care to coat the balls thoroughly. Place cookies 2 inches apart on lined baking sheets.
- Bake cookies for 12 minutes or until set. Remove cookies from the oven and allow the cookies to cool on baking sheets.