Penne Noodles with Vegetables and Chicken Sausage is on the menu tonight!
Cooked Penne noodles tossed with an assortment of veggies and lean chicken sausage!
This pasta dish is perfect for my pasta-loving family. Made with chicken sausage it’s easy, quick, and delicious. We also pack in a lot of veggies like broccoli rabe, zucchini, yellow squash, and mushrooms for added flavor, color, and nutrients. This is a very simple but flavor-packed recipe. The penne noodles are hearty, and the chicken sausage has spice. This pasta dish has a little something for everyone!
Chicken Sausage Penne Pasta
You are going to love this pasta with vegetables and sausage! It’s such a wonderful meal for any time of the year and perfect for last-minute dinners too! You can have the entire dish cooked up in about the same amount of time as it takes for the water to boil, making it perfect for a fast meal on a busy night. Serve it up and it will always disappear quickly. It’s such a family favorite!
- Penne noodles
- Broccoli rabe
- Olive oil
- Yellow squash
- Sliced mushrooms
- Chicken sausage
- Lemon juice
- Romano cheese
How to Make Penne Noodles with Vegetables and Chicken Sausage
- Cook your pasta according to the package directions.
- Add the broccoli rabe to the boiling water for about 2 minutes before draining the water.
- When draining the water, make sure to reserve 1/3 cup of the cooking water and set it aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat add 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add in the sausage and cook for 5-7 minutes or until the sausage has browned.
- Remove from the pan and set it aside.
- Add in the other tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add in the squash, zucchini, and mushrooms.
- Stir the vegetables and cook until they are fork-tender. This should take about 5 minutes.
- Add the sausage and vegetables to the pasta and add in the reserved cooking liquid.
- Add in the salt and pepper.
- Bring everything to a boil and cook for one or two minutes.
- Stir in the lemon juice and toss with the cheese to melt.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
What is broccoli rabe?
Broccoli rabe is actually the leaves and small buds that look like broccoli but they do not form a large head like broccoli. It’s often used in cooking recipes and tastes really good while being packed with nutritious benefits. Note that the broccoli rabe is actually much closer to mustard green than it is to actual broccoli so if you cannot find broccoli rabe in the store, swap it out for some mustard greens instead.
How long are leftovers good for?
You can keep the leftovers from this dish stored in an airtight container for up to 4 days in the fridge. Reheat again before serving because this is a recipe that tastes best when served warm.
What does reserved pasta water do?
Reserving pasta water to use in sauces is great because the sauce is filled with starches from the pasta and can actually help the sauce thicken and bind well to the cooked noodles. We use it in this recipe to help our sauce get to the perfect texture and cling to the pasta so every bite is as flavorful as the last.
For more delicious pasta recipes check out these tasty suggestions:
- Spicy Pumpkin Pasta
- Greek Pasta Salad
- Healthy and Easy Bow Tie Pasta Salad Recipe
- Baked Chicken Parmesan Pasta
- Easy Pesto Pasta Primavera Recipe
- Creamy Lemon Pasta
- 1 lb penne noodles
- 1 lb broccoli rabe, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow squash, sliced
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 1 8oz container sliced mushrooms
- 1 package chicken sausage (about 5 links)
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup Romano cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions, adding broccoli rabe during the last 2 minutes of the cooking time. Drain pasta mixture; reserving 1/3 cup cooking liquid and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan. Add sausage to pan and cook for 5-7 minutes or until sausage has browned. Remove and set aside. Add remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Add squash, zucchini and mushrooms. Stir vegetables and cook until they are fork-tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add sausage and vegetables to pasta; and reserved cooking liquid along with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and cook the mixture for a minute or two. Stir in lemon juice and toss with cheese.
Amount Per Serving Calories 374Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 28mgSodium 444mgCarbohydrates 46gFiber 8gSugar 5gProtein 20g