Penne noodles tossed with an assortment of veggies and lean chicken sausage!
The other day, my youngest asked me what I did all day. At first, I was completely offended. When someone asks you what it is you do all day, you assume they are implying that you sit on your arse and do nothing. I didn’t think my daughter was suggesting that all. I think she was genuinely curious as to what happens after she hops on the bus. She knows her days are filled with structured learning, but what about mine?
I’ll tell you what I told her; each day is different and the same all at once. Somedays I clean the house or do laundry. Somedays I run errands or make it to the gym. Somedays I help at school or visit with family, but every day centers around food. I wake up and check on my blog; I visit my friends blogs. But almost every day, I test and photograph recipes. Every day I think about food or spend time researching new ways to enjoy food. I’ll spend time scouring magazines or websites searching for some inspiration.
Recently I found a recipe for penne noodles tossed with broccoli rabe and chicken sausage. I figured this dish would be perfect for my pasta loving family. I often use chicken sausage when I get in a chicken rut; it’s easy, quick and delicious. The original recipe only had one vegetable, but I’m an opportunist and added a few more! Zucchini, yellow squash, and mushrooms are thrown in for more flavor and nutrients in this very simple but flavor-packed recipe. The penne noodles are hearty, and the chicken sausage has spice. This pasta dish has a little something for everyone!
- 1 lb penne noodles
- 1 lb broccoli rabe, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow squash, sliced
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 1 8oz container sliced mushrooms
- 1 package chicken sausage (about 5 links)
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup Romano cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions, adding broccoli rabe during the last 2 minutes of the cooking time. Drain pasta mixture; reserving 1/3 cup cooking liquid and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan. Add sausage to pan and cook for 5-7 minutes or until sausage has browned. Remove and set aside. Add remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Add squash, zucchini and mushrooms. Stir vegetables and cook until they are fork-tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add sausage and vegetables to pasta; and reserved cooking liquid along with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and cook the mixture for a minute or two. Stir in lemon juice and toss with cheese.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 374Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 28mgSodium 444mgCarbohydrates 46gFiber 8gSugar 5gProtein 20g